Audio Splitter for podium

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
dence

Audio Splitter for podium

Post by dence »

Can anyone recommend a splitter that we can purchase that will allow us to run wireless mics and an ipad through the sound system in the chapel? We had a GA visit and we had to switch the audio cables throughout a training meeting. There has to be an easier way. Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
carsonm

Re: Audio Splitter for podium

Post by carsonm »

It sounds like what you need is an audio mixer instead of a splitter. How many wireless mics are you using?
dence

Post by dence »

The wireless mics go through a mixer. We need to figure how to have the mixer board and the ipad go through and share a single audio jack.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Technically, what you need is a combiner. However, you'd have better control if you ran the iPad though the mixer as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

Most chapels have multiple mic input jacks. Could you just connect the wireless mic receiver to one of them and leave the ipad connected where it is presently?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

CalS201 wrote:Most chapels have multiple mic input jacks. Could you just connect the wireless mic receiver to one of them and leave the ipad connected where it is presently?
Since this isn't a sacrament meeting, you can probably re-purpose the sacrament mic. Just be sure to put it back and test it when you're done. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Something like this I always carry around in my car.

https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-Sl ... B00B4FRZ0I

I'm not endorsing it just came up on the first search of Amazon.... But combine a couple of mic's into it and either use the XLR input or the RCA inputs on the podium. I've had so many variations in chapel stand setup that I just keep a 4-channel mixer around and use it rather than try and setup in several places on the stand.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

dence wrote:Can anyone recommend a splitter that we can purchase that will allow us to run wireless mics and an ipad through the sound system in the chapel? We had a GA visit and we had to switch the audio cables throughout a training meeting. There has to be an easier way. Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
Yes, there is an easier (and standard way). Prior to a GA visit, a letter is typically sent to the ecclesiastical leader of the host unit(s). This letter indicates the dates, times, and will typically instruct the unit on things to prepare for the visit. This will include AV needs. The FM groups, or their Regional groups, are authorized to acquire the necessary equipment. In the US and Canada, these needs are typically 4 wireless microphones, 1 lapel, and 3 handheld. A GA wireless microphone kit exists, which FM/RFM groups can order, and loan out to stakes as needed for GA conferences, or other stake conferences if there are no conflicting GA needs. The kit includes the 4 wireless mics, receivers, and Auxiliary input, and an audio mixer, and cords to connect to power, and the sound system.

Some additional notes:
1) That the kit offering is relatively new, so, FM/RFM groups may have other equipment that does not exactly match this list, but fulfills the same needs.
2) The primarily purpose of the kit is to serve the GA's so, FM/RFM groups are not authorized to order it for stakes, but can after acquiring it lend it to them.
3) Even after acquiring, if a GA is visiting, a stake at the same time as a stake conference, the GA would receive priority for it's use, and the other stake would have to do with out, even if arrangements had been made with the FM/RFM well in advance. (Ie, if one is available don't expect it will always be available).
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

StevePoulsen wrote:Prior to a GA visit, a letter is typically sent to the ecclesiastical leader of the host unit(s). This letter indicates the dates, times, and will typically instruct the unit on things to prepare for the visit. This will include AV needs.
Wow. If only that were true. I have yet to find out about a GA's real AV needs prior to their arrival; or it's too generic to be useful, like, "We will need a projector and screen for Sat." What they failed to say was, "I have all the videos on my Netbook and we need the adapters and connectors for both sound and video to interface with my particular Netbook model." (True story.)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Including AV needs is good, I'd love to see the note mentioned above sent along as well. One issue with only sending this to the stake president is the 'lost in translation' information. I think a separate note to the stake clerk and STS and really help is know that resources are available from FM to support these requirements.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”