Tax Statement for Individual No Longer in Ward (Canada)

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dangasser

Tax Statement for Individual No Longer in Ward (Canada)

Post by dangasser »

So I have had a few requests from people asking for their tax statements but they no longer are in our ward....and for the life of my I can't figure this out. Their statements didn't come with the pre-generated statements, and when I go to generate an individual statement, their name doesn't show up. I presume this is because it is searching our current member list for donors which doesn't include members moved out. Anyone out there having the same problem?

I feel like I'm probably missing something very easy....
eblood66

Re: Tax Statement for Individual No Longer in Ward (Canada)

Post by eblood66 »

Not really. If they are members they need to get their statement from their current ward (non-members should show up on your list even if they have moved--the church doesn't know about whether they've moved or not).

For the special situation when a member has moved between countries and need a statement for a different country than they currently reside, then the current ward needs to contact the Global Service Center and ask them to provide the necessary statement. Regardless, there is nothing you can do for them. They need to work with their current ward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Do make sure that each of their donor records are tied to their membership records, with their membership record number, so it can be seen by their current ward.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:Do make sure that each of their donor records are tied to their membership records, with their membership record number, so it can be seen by their current ward.
That is true but I'm assuming that the donations were tied to the membership record because otherwise their should be a tax statement available (since the system couldn't know that the member had moved). But it's always good to check. This can now be done in LCR using the Finance > Participants section.
normandtam

Post by normandtam »

Same question - why does a member's tax statement not appear on the pre-generated list? I saw a note on the pre-generated tax statement page, that said if a member has downloaded their own statement, it will not appear on the pre-generated list. The member in question has not downloaded it, according to them. Is there a way to generate a new individual tax statement?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

normandtam wrote:The member in question has not downloaded it, according to them. Is there a way to generate a new individual tax statement?
If the member is a member of your ward then, yes, you should be able to generate a statement for them. That ability was disabled for a few weeks at the end of January but it should be enabled now. Go to Finance > Tithing Settlement > Year End Statement and click on the 'Generate a Statement' button.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”