Viewing Home Teachers as well as Families taught

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Joelongson

Viewing Home Teachers as well as Families taught

Post by Joelongson »

Would it be possible for any members to see both the families they are assigned to home teach, as well as being able to see who has been assigned as their Home Teachers. Often you don't remember the names of your home teachers, and it would be great if the directory could provide that information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Viewing Home Teachers as well as Families taught

Post by russellhltn »

Only if the Priesthood Department decides to do so.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Based on some conversations that we saw when Home and Visiting Teaching were added to Leader and Clerk Resources, I don't expect that members will be able to see this information anytime soon, if ever. I believe there was a comment from someone at the church about "Return and Report." My take on it is that they want you to interact with your leaders, not a computer (even though for me, it's all usually email with my leaders, both to get my list and report the results; occasionally they hand out printed paper slips in priesthood).

I agree it would be nice-to-have information, but at least for the time being, the church leadership has a different plan.
cboling

Post by cboling »

I think a "My HT Families" / "My VT Sisters" filter link in the sidebar (like the convenient-but-not-necessary "My Household" link) would help to keep those we're responsible for close to our minds and encourage communication with them.
mevans

Post by mevans »

cboling wrote:I think a "My HT Families" / "My VT Sisters" filter link in the sidebar (like the convenient-but-not-necessary "My Household" link) would help to keep those we're responsible for close to our minds and encourage communication with them.
You can use the "Feedback" link found at the bottom of most pages on lds.org to request the feature. It may not get you the feature, but the information you submit is reviewed.
roundyfamily

Post by roundyfamily »

I agree with Joelongson. I would be beneficial to have the families you home teach and those that home teach your family in the ward directory. Could you please share where such a request could be made if not here?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

roundyfamily wrote:Could you please share where such a request could be made if not here?
The answer is in the post just before yours:
mevans wrote:You can use the "Feedback" link found at the bottom of most pages on lds.org to request the feature. It may not get you the feature, but the information you submit is reviewed.
vonrix

Post by vonrix »

I've thought that this would be a good thing to have also. Since I am new to the ward and I am not yet familiar with all of the name and faces of the members it would help to have this feature. Also, many of the members do not have their images uploaded. Perhaps for privacy or technology fears. Would it be possible to uploads private images of them that only you could see and not the whole ward/stake etc. could see? This would help me familiarize myself with names and faces. It would be nice to be able to set reminders, notices, notes, appointments, visiting status, type of visit or contact, help or other needs that the family needs, also.

I've tried to submit these ideas and others that I've had on other site pages/locations but the feedback form does not seems to be working. A few weeks ago, I submitted my first feedback through it and it worked just find and received an email confirmation and response but now after filling out the feedback form and pressing the submit button, no reaction happens. It just remands on the form page. No feedback submission is possible at this time.
mevans

Post by mevans »

vonrix wrote:Also, many of the members do not have their images uploaded. Perhaps for privacy or technology fears. Would it be possible to uploads private images of them that only you could see and not the whole ward/stake etc. could see? This would help me familiarize myself with names and faces.
Members can upload their own pictures, but few tend to do that. Even when they do, leaders need to approve the images, which is also a problem. You could talk to your bishopric about getting member photos posted. Perhaps they can call a photographer or other calling who would facilitate this. I'm an assistant clerk and have done a lot of work for getting photos posted of ward members. This could be a whole topic unto itself.
vonrix wrote:It would be nice to be able to set reminders, notices, notes, appointments, visiting status, type of visit or contact, help or other needs that the family needs, also.
I doubt we'll see tools like this. The church has been eliminating tools, not creating new ones. There are numerous apps for you to set personal reminders, take notes, etc., so it's probably best if you find something you appreciate that helps you do your calling as a home/visiting teacher. Also, the church doesn't officially keep notes on members. The membership record has very limited information and any annotations to a member's record (which are rare) are authorized by the First Presidency and can only be seen by the bishopric. There may also be confidential notes regarding a member that are only visible to the bishop and stake president. I believe those have to do with disciplinary actions (I don't really know, as I'm not in one of those callings, but I've heard they exist).
vonrix wrote:I've tried to submit these ideas and others that I've had on other site pages/locations but the feedback form does not seems to be working. A few weeks ago, I submitted my first feedback through it and it worked just find and received an email confirmation and response but now after filling out the feedback form and pressing the submit button, no reaction happens. It just remands on the form page. No feedback submission is possible at this time.
Is that still the case? Sometimes I've seen problems, but they usually get fixed in a few days.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

vonrix wrote:Would it be possible to uploads private images of them that only you could see and not the whole ward/stake etc. could see?
There's an "Edit" button next to your profile picture on the LDS.org Directory that allows you (or a clerk / bishopric member on your behalf) to set a privacy setting so the photo only shows for leaders. However, permission is still needed for photos to be uploaded, even if the photos will only be visible to leaders.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”