Updating Ward Leadership Callings at the stake level

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
drepouille

Updating Ward Leadership Callings at the stake level

Post by drepouille »

I am a ward clerk, but I wonder which ward callings the stake clerk can update in my ward. Can the stake clerk update my EQ presidency, HPG, or bishopric (including clerk) callings?

I looked at the LCR Access Table for Stake Clerk. "Stake Leadership" is greyed out, but "Ward Leadership" is bold and checked, implying that the stake clerk can update "Ward Leadership" callings. I don't know exactly which callings those are.

Scenario:
A high councilor visits a ward, and sustains and sets apart an EQ counselor or a HPG assistant. Let's say the ward clerk is not aware of this change, for whatever reason. The high councilor "returns and reports" to the stake presidency. Is it the stake clerk's responsibility to record the change to that calling? Does he even have that ability?

When I was the stake clerk, I did not have that ability. I begged and teased the high council to ensure the ward clerk was informed of the change, so he could update the ward calling in MLS (at the time) or LCR (now). When the ward clerk was not informed of the change, I would then have to notify him via email, and wait for him to make the change.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Biggles

Re: Updating Ward Leadership Callings at the stake level

Post by Biggles »

As far as I'm aware, the only Ward calling the Stake has the ability change, is the Bishop. The Ward Clerk can't do that.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I looked at the LCR Access Table for Stake Clerk. "Stake Leadership" is greyed out, but "Ward Leadership" is bold and checked, implying that the stake clerk can update "Ward Leadership" callings. I don't know exactly which callings those are.
I'm seeing the same thing. That doesn't sound right.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As a stake assistant clerk, the only ward-level calling I can change is the bishop. When I change a bishop, the counselors become released automatically, but I can't add new counselors or edit any other callings in the ward. I think it's just marked wrong on the access table.

Note that ward priesthood and auxiliary presidencies can now edit callings within their organization – for example, if a new elders quorum counselor is sustained and set apart, the elders quorum president can record it in Leader and Clerk Resources himself. Of course, the clerk, if he knows about the change, is ultimately responsible to make sure it's recorded.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:I think it's just marked wrong on the access table.
I don't think it's wrong. I think it's just that Ward Leadership refers to just the bishop (and probably branch president). Similarly Stake Leadership probably refers to just the Stake President who I assume can't be changed by the stake (which is what the access table shows). Of course, I'm not sure why Stake Leadership is in the table at all since none of the callings listed in the table have that right.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:I think it's just marked wrong on the access table.
I don't think it's wrong. I think it's just that Ward Leadership refers to just the bishop (and probably branch president). Similarly Stake Leadership probably refers to just the Stake President who I assume can't be changed by the stake (which is what the access table shows).
If that's the case, then I think the tag needs to be changed to be clearer.

eblood66 wrote:Of course, I'm not sure why Stake Leadership is in the table at all since none of the callings listed in the table have that right.
Just for fun, check the ward leadership. For example, it appears that "Young Men's Presidency" has "Access allowed; not yet available" rights to "Stake Leadership".

I think it's safe to say that something is seriously messed up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."

We have all seen how busy high councilors and members of the stake presidency drop in for EQ and HPG meetings just long enough to sustain and set apart a new counselor or assistant, and then run to their next assignment. In the rush, that change is not communicated to a clerk or bishopric member, who can update the calling in LCR. These changes are sometimes lost or forgotten, in some cases until the next unit conference or membership audit. Yes, it is helpful that the EQP and HPGL can now update their own presidency callings, so perhaps the clerk no longer needs to be told of the change.

What have you found to be the "best practice" to ensure all such changes are recorded promptly?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Michaeljefferyjones

Post by Michaeljefferyjones »

I am new to my calling as a stake clerk ,can some advise me how to update a calling for a ward ie assistant High Priest Group leader please
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Stake leaders don't have access to update any ward-level callings on Leader and Clerk Resources, except updating bishops.

This will change slightly with LCR 4.1, which is supposed to be out in the next couple of months (release notes) – a few more callings will be editable from the stake level, but most callings will still need to be edited on the ward level.

So, you'll need to work with a ward clerk or the high priests group leader in the ward, who can update the calling for the assistant high priests group leader.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If you are referring to the High Priests Group First Assistant or High Priests Group Second Assistant then LCR 4.1 does allow the stake to edit them. Until that is released you will need to work with the ward clerk as sbradshaw said.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”