Overpaid Member Reimbursement Check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zlancerman

Overpaid Member Reimbursement Check

Post by zlancerman »

Preparing for a stake financial audit, it was discovered that a reimbursement check made out to a member was incorrect. The cents were switched - $X.68 was paid as $X.86, thereby overpaying the member by $0.18. How do we correct this error? The check was cashed months ago.

Thank you!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Overpaid Member Reimbursement Check

Post by lajackson »

zlancerman wrote:How do we correct this error? The check was cashed months ago.
I would consider the $0.18 an advance, the member would return it, and you would deposit it back into the budget account.

The member probably didn't even notice. When I am reimbursed for budget items, I no longer have the receipt, so I do not know if the clerk got it right or not. I just deposit the check and move on. (I think I would notice if they overpaid me a lot and would say something about it.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
zlancerman wrote:How do we correct this error? The check was cashed months ago.
I would consider the $0.18 an advance, the member would return it, and you would deposit it back into the budget account.
But it will cost the member, the Church, and others far more than 18 cents to correct the error. Any competent auditor would be aware of this and ignore the discrepancy. You can make a note of the issue on your records so that you leave a trail that you are aware of the issue, but it would be irresponsible to try to correct it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Any competent auditor . . .
I agree 100%. Write a note and pray that one of them is assigned to your unit.
zlancerman

Post by zlancerman »

Thanks all for the help! We just made a note and moved on.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”