Missionary Account

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brown67

Missionary Account

Post by brown67 »

New family moved into the Ward that has a missionary out. He's been out 5 months and the Bishops took care of transfering the account to our Ward. We have the account, but his account has a negative $2000 Balance.

None of the payments made in the old ward are showing on his account. I've got copies of the payments he made from his lds.org donations summary, so I know they were made. Has anyone had this problem, and what did you do to correct it?
eblood66

Re: Missionary Account

Post by eblood66 »

When an account is transferred, the payments in the previous ward do not get transferred to the new ward. Instead, there is an effective date for the transfer. If the effective date is in the past, then CHQ will credit the previous ward for any charges already made to them after the effective date and charge the new ward instead. If the effective date is in the future then CHQ will continue to charge the previous ward until the effective date and then start charging the new ward. By choosing the correct effective date the previous ward should be left with a zero balance (the remaining charges and the payments from the missionary balance out) and the new ward should also start with a zero balance (there are other considerations if the family/missionary is behind on their payments but I'm assuming here that they were up-to-date).

It sounds like when the financial responsibility was transferred the effective date was set as the beginning of his mission. That's the only way I can see that you would end up with such a large negative balance.

At this point there are two things that could be done. First, after checking with the previous ward and verifying the situation, you or your bishop can call again and ask CHQ to change the effective date. That would reverse the charges to your ward and put them back on the previous ward. Alternatively, the previous ward can write a check from the missionary's account in their ward (which should have a positive balance now) and send it to your ward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Missionary Account

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:At this point there are two things that could be done. First, after checking with the previous ward and verifying the situation, you or your bishop can call again and ask CHQ to change the effective date. That would reverse the charges to your ward and put them back on the previous ward. Alternatively, the previous ward can write a check from the missionary's account in their ward (which should have a positive balance now) and send it to your ward.
In addition to what has been said, I'd contact the prior ward immediately to make sure they don't dispose of that "excess".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”