Do Not Contact on Membership Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mdmccool

Do Not Contact on Membership Records

Post by mdmccool »

I am wondering what the best way to indicate on a membership that the person has asked to not be contacted.
These are the people that do not want visits but, have not decided to have their membership records removed from the church.

Currently in my ward they tend to put "DO NOT CONTACT" in the second address line though when we run NCOA or other address change services it tends to flag these records with errors and may not pick up a move that is on file.

Also on some reports the 2nd address line is dropped so in some cases we don't know this information has been entered.

Is there a recommended method to record "do no contact" preferences on a membership record?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Do Not Contact on Membership Records

Post by russellhltn »

mdmccool wrote:Is there a recommended method to record "do no contact" preferences on a membership record?
The last word on this was a prohibition on a DNC notation on the membership record.

See: This weekend's tip: No "DNC" on membership records

Personally, speaking for myself - the way I read it members are not free to dictate the terms of their membership. If they want to sever all contact, that's covered in Handbook 1:6.14 (Name removal). I think you'll find this true of most organizations.

That said, I do think it reasonable to try to accommodate the request without removing all contact. Certainly the appropriate quorums and auxiliaries can be informed, and their contact information in the directory can be set to "leadership only" to prevent other ward members from contacting them. But a complete DNC is not appropriate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rjamesh77

Post by rjamesh77 »

Russell,

Thanks for this info. Is the "leadership only" setting available working at home via lds.org or only working in MLS? Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rjamesh77 wrote:Is the "leadership only" setting available working at home via lds.org or only working in MLS?
If you are a clerk it is available to you at LDS.org in the Directory program. Call up the individual or family and look for the Edit pencil.
wayneo10

Post by wayneo10 »

Hi I put do not contact on my records a few months a go due to being involved with the wrong crowd and depression I was wondering can this be reversed.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

wayneo10 wrote:Hi I put do not contact on my records a few months a go due to being involved with the wrong crowd and depression I was wondering can this be reversed.
If your ward or branch was following church policy, there was no "do not contact" information placed on your membership record. They may have shared in the ward leadership council that you desired no contact and ward members should respect your wishes while being ready to reach out to you if you ever desired fellowship. If you seek contact, I recommend you let your bishop know that you would like fellowship from church members (or simply start attending church and it should happen naturally). You can go here https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/map ... 6&lang=eng and enter your address in the box at the top left of the map area. Your bishop's name and contact information will be shown - you can do this without ever logging into the site so you can get the information and then reach out when you are ready. I promise your bishop or branch president will welcome you with open arms, regardless of your history.
Mottzzz

Post by Mottzzz »

My ward council has been asking me. I did not know about the "leadership only" setting. So glad I came here.

Return to “Membership Help”