Model of replacement computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aebrown
Community Administrator

Model of replacement computers

Post by aebrown »

Our stake is scheduled to get replacement computers soon (we will hit the 5 year mark in 2 months). I'm curious what replacement computers are being sent out these days.

It seems like all I hear about in the clerk community is the Dell Optiplex 740. Is that what everyone is getting, or is there some other option?

Also, the Dell 740 has several options for processors. It was introduced almost 2 years ago, and over that time the processor options have changed as well. I'm guessing that although 64-bit processors are available, the Church gets the 32-bit processors. What's the typical clock speed these days? Does anyone know if it has changed over time as the Church has been shipping 740s for about 18 months now?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:Also, the Dell 740 has several options for processors. It was introduced almost 2 years ago, and over that time the processor options have changed as well. I'm guessing that although 64-bit processors are available, the Church gets the 32-bit processors.
According to Dell's site, the two main choices for the Optiplex 740 are an AMD Athlon 1640B at 2.7GHz or an AMD Athlon 4050e at 2.1GHz (if you get the small form factor). Both are 64-bit, and the 4050e is actually a dual-core. I imagine the Church probably gets the Mini Tower option, but that is not the same as the small form factor (prices are pretty similar though).

I was actually going to echo this trend before I even did the research. In my opinion and experience, the market has switched earlier this year to almost exclusively be 64-bit processors. However, it's also quite common to put a 32-bit OS on top of that, as the Dell site confirms.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

About a month ago I got 3 units. All were Optiplex 740, AMD processor and 1GB of memory, no floppy. I didn't note the type and speed of the processor as I find that's not real important. The old GX270 was fast enough, it was just memory starved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:and 1GB of memory,
I would have died and gone to heaven, and my replacement taken over. [grin]
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I would have died and gone to heaven, and my replacement taken over. [grin]
Hmmm. Well, it also came with Vista CDs and a Vista license on the side of the box. (XP on the hard drive). From what I'm hearing, Vista needs 2GB to run well. And this machine is to last 5 years. Uhhhh, when does XP no longer get security patches again???
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:From what I'm hearing, Vista needs 2GB to run well. And this machine is to last 5 years. Uhhhh, when does XP no longer get security patches again???
Not really, I ran Vista Ultimate with all the UI fluff and everything for a while on 1 GB of RAM without any problems really. It definitely ran "well" enough. Plus, you can always disable the UI fluff, which takes up quite a bit of resources.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmm. Well, it also came with Vista CDs and a Vista license on the side of the box. (XP on the hard drive).
XP is a valid OS to run under the Vista license (and an option from Dell business), however, the CDs certainly wont do you much good if you need to do a complete re-install. :rolleyes:
RussellHltn wrote:From what I'm hearing, Vista needs 2GB to run well.
Yup. My Vista Ult. occupies about 1GB just on bootup, but like mkmurray said, you can cut out a LOT of fluff allowing it to run quite well under the 1GB wire.
RussellHltn wrote:And this machine is to last 5 years. Uhhhh, when does XP no longer get security patches again???
No worries mate, that's going to be a long time down the road.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote:XP is a valid OS to run under the Vista license (and an option from Dell business), however, the CDs certainly wont do you much good if you need to do a complete re-install. :rolleyes:
XP disks were included too.
Mikerowaved wrote:No worries mate, that's going to be a long time down the road.
April 2014. So I should be able to wait for the next machine - unless the church moves us to the new standard. :cool:

Return to “Clerk Computers”