Success with video conference tools

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
GerrardSL

Success with video conference tools

Post by GerrardSL »

We have been trying a variety of video conference options to decrease travel for leaders. Of the freeware available, we've found Oovoo and Skype both seem to work fairly well. I could not get any of the others to work through the church firewalls. I would love to understand what tools you have tried and what success you have had with those tools. We have some video conferencing hardware units that stakes may purchase available soon but are looking for other options to recommend. What have you tried that is working-and what does not work?
thanks
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

sgerrard wrote:We have been trying a variety of video conference options to decrease travel for leaders. Of the freeware available, we've found Oovoo and Skype both seem to work fairly well. I could not get any of the others to work through the church firewalls. I would love to understand what tools you have tried and what success you have had with those tools. We have some video conferencing hardware units that stakes may purchase available soon but are looking for other options to recommend. What have you tried that is working-and what does not work?
thanks
(I posted this in the other thread you responded too, but since you made a new thread out of it here, I'll just repost here too...)

Actually, you may want to look into what the Church is offering. In the online Tech Talk a week ago presented by the Church's CIO, Joel Dehlin. he mentioned that the Church is already offering audio conferencing solutions to the local units. He also mentioned that a video conferencing solution would be hopefully by the end of the year.

The recording of the online Tech Talk is slated to be released late next week or the beginning of the following week, with an announcement posted on the main homepage of the LDS Tech website.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:(I posted this in the other thread you responded too, but since you made a new thread out of it here, I'll just repost here too...)

Actually, you may want to look into what the Church is offering. In the online Tech Talk a week ago presented by the Church's CIO, Joel Dehlin. he mentioned that the Church is already offering audio conferencing solutions to the local units. He also mentioned that a video conferencing solution would be hopefully by the end of the year.

The recording of the online Tech Talk is slated to be released late next week or the beginning of the following week, with an announcement posted on the main homepage of the LDS Tech website.

As I mentioned in the other thread, sgerrard (apparently a Church employee) is well aware of what the Church is offering, but seeking feedback on how those offerings or other similar technologies are working for stakes and wards.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I distinctly remember Joel discussing the possibility of using the building's internet to hold "remote PPI's" with other members during the tech talk, so my guess is, if you can hold on for a while, the church is working on a solution.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think sgerrard is a church employee and is aware of what's being offered but is soliciting experiences from the community.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

I saw links to some video conferencing sites mentioned on another thread.

This one is free for up to 20 attendees:
http://www.dimdim.com/

Here is a link to download the Open Source code for dimdim to create your own program:
http://www.dimdim.com/opensource/dimdim ... ition.html

This is the other one:
http://www.yugma.com/

I have not tried either but it might be worth looking into.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
GerrardSL

Thanks for the links

Post by GerrardSL »

But these are for web conferencing, not video conferencing. I'm really looking for true video tools.
opee

Post by opee »

We have tried GoogleTalk also as a tool to use for "video" conferencing, but it was not helpful to use the microphone from the laptop because you can hear the typing while listening to the discussion.

I have also found that you need to have a good microphone and speaker system for the room so that all can hear loud an clear on all ends of the conversation.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What was the name of that ancient app that was first used? Microsoft Messaging? I think it was bundled with most web cams. Since it involved you contacting a server, I'd think it should get though a firewall OK.

From the dream big department: http://www.hp.com/halo (No, it has nothing to do with the game. :rolleyes:)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:From the dream big department: www.hp.com/halo (No, it has nothing to do with the game. :rolleyes:)
Or this: http://www.microsoft.com/UC/products/roundtable.mspx

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”