Need simple way to configure monitors on the stand

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
mprusse

Need simple way to configure monitors on the stand

Post by mprusse »

Stake conference this weekend and visiting GA has requested monitors on the stand for those seated there to view videos he plans to show. We've done it in the past by taking a video out from the projector but this time we want to use two monitors. We have a pretty simple setup and not access to a lot of bells and whistles so it needs not be complicated. Can it be as simple as splitting the feed from the projector? Thank you!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Need simple way to configure monitors on the stand

Post by russellhltn »

If the feed is RF (meaning you have to tune a receiver to a channel), yes, a splitter will work. If the signal is baseband video, then you'll need a video distribution amplifier (an active splitter that works on video).

Since I've not seen a projector with a tuner, this would be video.

However, some projectors do have a output that would allow you to "chain" the video from the projector to another monitor.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

crazy question, but why not just us the projector to play it like you would for general conference? Otherwise, I'm assuming that he will be using an iPad or something along those lines and you will need to take it out and split it to the two monitors. You can do this with a "Y" cable, but you will lose signal strength when you do it.

In my book we need more information to understand what he is going to use and then what connection can be used to do what he wants.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:crazy question, but why not just us the projector to play it like you would for general conference?
I think what's going on is the GA wants to play a video clip, but unless the stake presidency is released from the stand, they can't view it from where they're sitting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

russellhltn wrote:
harddrive wrote:crazy question, but why not just us the projector to play it like you would for general conference?
I think what's going on is the GA wants to play a video clip, but unless the stake presidency is released from the stand, they can't view it from where they're sitting.
That is correct.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Do you know what kind of signal will be coming off the projector? HDMI? Component? Composite? Something else? Each will have different requirements for splitting. Even the projector model would be helpful so we can steer you in the right direction.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

The video out from the projector is VGA. I guess I could try a VGA splitter but I don't know how much signal loss there will be.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You'll have to check the manual. You may find the VGA out is only functional if you use VGA in.

I'd imagine that any VGA splitter would have to be an active device, so I don't think you'll see much degradation from that. Perhaps a bigger issue is if the projectors and TVs want a different resolution or refresh rate. More likely, the projector is a 4:3 aspect ratio while the TVs are HD.

quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

We have chosen to use HDMI for this situation. There are several configuration options. For a ‘low’ show, we use a HDMI 1 to 4 splitter with a small collection of HDMI cables of 35 or 50 feet. This allows the PC or input device to be positioned almost anywhere on the stand. Two monitors (cheap LCD flat screens) are located on the floor in front of the presiding authorities. A selection of conversion adapters such as: display port to HDMI, Apple to HDMI, and physical interface adaptors, etc. are kept on hand. You may need a HDMI to VGA convertor to connect to the projector. All of the items can be had from Bestlink Netware for under $100.
The highest resolution device should be connected to port 1 of the splitter as the resolution of all ports is copied from the first port resolution setting.
For a ‘high’ show, the PC or input device is set up the same way with the addition of an HDMI to SDI adapter which sends the signal back to the webcast mixer for distribution to the whole building and web. There is also the option of moving the PC back to the webcast mixer and driving the projector via a SDI interface. The same thing is done for regional conferences when a satellite picture is displayed. In this case the presiding authority displays are connected to the RF distribution system and they watch HD channel 10.1.
A block diagram is attached, with particular note of page 2, and 1 giving more particulars. Apple products should not be used in the ‘high’ show configuration due to HDMI rights conflicts.
Attachments
WebcastConfigDwgs.pdf
pages1-5
(308.42 KiB) Downloaded 574 times
justuw

Post by justuw »

What are you going to do when the video isnt playing? Will you have static on the TV, or just give them a remote to turn it on when the video starts and off when it ends?

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”