LDS General Conference on YouTube

Discussions about other Church websites
jdahmanson

LDS General Conference on YouTube

Post by jdahmanson »

Can somebody explain why the LDS General Conference channel (an official Church channel) has a Liked Videos playlist that includes unrelated videos that include foul language?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: LDS General Conference on YouTube

Post by lajackson »

I believe it is because they have no control over the videos that are displayed as options on the page. No matter how good the first video is, each selection on the right produces a list that is worse and worse until the choices are downright unsaintly. There is usually a bad apple after the first list is followed, but never less often than the second or third.

Such is the world in which we live. I suppose the Church feels the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Any bishop who has dealt with the problem of addiction in interviews probably feels differently, even though it would not be the fault of the Church.

Agency.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd imagine that the YouTube video selected depends in part on past viewing history on that computer or Google login. But I suppose that YouTube tends to lump pro and anti-LDS into the same "subject"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

No, the OP was pointing out the fact that on the "Playlists" tab here there is a "Liked videos" playlist. Perhaps someone who has the account password was watching something on this account and "liked" it here instead of their personal account.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I'm not sure if that is an official account. I'll pass it off to someone to follow up on it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

LDS General Conference is an official channel that has been referenced and linked to from LDS.org. It's the first place that talks are posted – sometimes even before a session finishes. It's possible that the church employee who uploads to the channel (or it could be one of multiple employees who oversee the channel) forgot to switch to his personal account before watching and liking videos.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This has been fixed. Thank you for reporting it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, the YouTube channel has been fixed, but now the YouTube link on lds.org goes to a 404 page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Details, details. :) I'll contact the appropriate person. Thanks.

Return to “Other Websites”