Webcast drops for a few minutes

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
kcowolf

Webcast drops for a few minutes

Post by kcowolf »

Ever since we switched to using portal.ldswebcast.org, we've seen an issue where the webcast will go down for a few minutes at the broadcast site. This has happened at least once in each of the last three conferences we've had. It occurred again tonight during our Saturday night session -- it went down down for 5 minutes, and the Event Stats shows that the receive rate during that time was 0. However, the logs on our router showed that we were transmitting data at a constant rate during that time, so the only conclusion I can draw is that the problem is with the receiving end on streaming service the Church is using, and therefore isn't something we can fix ourselves.

I called the helpdesk as soon as it went down, but after looking at it told me they couldn't do anything.

Has anyone else seen this, or is there anything I could be missing here? This is very frustrating, especially when the older webcast solution was working fine for us. While I want to follow the Church's direction on technology and webcasts, the new system has proven to be insufficiently reliable.
kcowolf

Re: Webcast drops for a few minutes

Post by kcowolf »

Additional information:

We used Low quality video and Mobile quality audio, and the media server was mhw2-centralus2. For this morning's session we used the same video/audio quality and mhw2-centralus4; the receive rate dipped once to just above the target, but never dropped to zero.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”