LDS.org access issues

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
craiggsmith

LDS.org access issues

Post by craiggsmith »

We continue to have intermittent problems accessing LDS.org from meetinghouses. This has previously been discussed here https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=20987 but that thread is so old and long I thought I would start a new one to summarize it. If this is not appropriate let me know.

Here are the symptoms:
  • LDS.org is not accessible, but all other websites are.
  • Some LDS.org subsites are accessible if accessed directly.
  • LDS.org is accessible if the meetinghouse firewall is bypassed.
  • This only occurs Sunday mornings.
  • This only occurs when Comcast is the internet provider.
  • The consensus seems to be that the problem must be due to a combination of factors between Comcast, Church, and/or Akamai equipment.
Has anyone else continued to experience this problem? I talked to Comcast support yesterday while it was occurring but they were unable to log in to the modem to check things. Our modem is old and they will be swapping it out this week. Perhaps that will affect the issue, but they have opened a level 2 ticket anyway. If anyone has any information to pass on to them when they contact me please comment.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
natet

Re: LDS.org access issues

Post by natet »

Craig, I don't know if you ever got this resolved. We had a similar issue with Century link. Our issue was with logging in. We could navigate to lds.org, because it was being served via Akamai, but the login servers were unroutable. Our resolution was to have century link move the meetinghouse to a different IP subnet. My best guess at a root cause for the issue was a misconfigured firewall somewhere along the route from our building to church hq.
deaverg

Re: LDS.org access issues

Post by deaverg »

Talk by President. Nelson

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”