General Conference audio downloads not working

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
louhong

General Conference audio downloads not working

Post by louhong »

I'm running the 4.0.1.2 release of Gospel Library (GL) and have been trying to get all of my content re-downloaded, after everything seemingly got cleared out. I've attempted several times to download the 2016 October General Conference audio files (44) but I can't get any of them to play offline. The process seems to download the actual files, but after it is complete, all of the files exist in name only and nothing plays. I can look under Settings | Downloaded Media |October 2016, and it shows all of the names of the talks, but they are all 0 bytes. I've tried deleting all of them, downloading again, but I get the same results each time.

I've even tried to download 5 or 6 of them to see if individual downloads work, but the do not. A batch download of all of the talks doesn't work either. My devices is a Nexus 5X running Android 7.1.1. Any suggestions? Sorry if my question has been asked before. I've been searching on this topic without finding an answer.

Thanks!
busybass

Re: General Conference audio downloads not working

Post by busybass »

Did you ever get an answer? Since getting the update, I seem to have lost all of my files also. I used to listen every day whenever I had a few minutes (or lots). Now mine won't work offline either and I can't seem to find the files anywhere on my Samsung S7. I had everything downloaded before so I could read/listen when offline, but now everything has disappeared.
It said for over 2 hours (while hooked up to my home wifi, which is quick) that it was "syncing annotations" or something like that. I finally hit cancel and have tried deleting and re downloading everything several times to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
louhong

Post by louhong »

There have been no replies to my question. However, I can now say that the downloads did finally work although I'm not sure why. I deleted each of the zero byte files and then attempted a full download. This time, I let it go overnight without any interruptions. I can't remember exactly what happened the next morning, although I think I was still getting the same message that the files were installing. So, I closed out the app and then loaded it again. To my surprise, the content was/is now there and working! Try downloading again and only touch the download button once. Let it run for "a long while." On a prior attempt, I tapped the download button 3 or 4 times and was getting 3 or 4 attempted downloads of the same files.

One more anomaly is that I have it set to only stream when connected to WiFi. The other day though, I noticed that it was downloading an update to the catalog or content over cellular data.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

busybass wrote:Did you ever get an answer? Since getting the update, I seem to have lost all of my files also. I used to listen every day whenever I had a few minutes (or lots). Now mine won't work offline either and I can't seem to find the files anywhere on my Samsung S7. I had everything downloaded before so I could read/listen when offline, but now everything has disappeared.
It said for over 2 hours (while hooked up to my home wifi, which is quick) that it was "syncing annotations" or something like that. I finally hit cancel and have tried deleting and re downloading everything several times to no avail.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Have you tried downloading the audio files again?

Gospel Library 4 stores media in a different location and organized in a different way than previous versions of Gospel Library, so anything you downloaded before the Gospel Library 4 update will need to be downloaded again.

To download audio in Gospel Library 4 for Android, go to a chapter/article/talk, then from the overflow menu choose "Download Media." From there, you can choose the Download All option to download all of the audio for the given book, manual, magazine, or conference.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”