Converting nonmember spouse to member

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
alexkolson

Converting nonmember spouse to member

Post by alexkolson »

We have a member that married someone who at first was a nonmember, and the marriage was entered as a nonmember spouse. But now that nonmember spouse has converted (yay :) ) and we have their member record in our ward now. How do I, as ward clerk, change the nonmember spouse entries into member spouse entries? The marriage was not in the temple, so I don't get any automagic marriage stuff put on their record(s) from the temple.

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks!
eblood66

Re: Converting nonmember spouse to member

Post by eblood66 »

Does his membership record have her listed as a member spouse? If not, then I'd try adding the marriage on his record and seeing if that automatically updates her record as well. If it already shows up on his record but her's is not correct then I think you'll need to contact Local Unit Support and have them fix things up. I don't know of any way of editing a non-member marriage except to terminate it and create a new marriage but that doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
alexkolson

Post by alexkolson »

Thanks for the reply!

The marriage is listed on his (the convert)'s record but also as a nonmember marriage, which is strange because she is and was a member from the beginning.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

alexkolson wrote:Thanks for the reply!

The marriage is listed on his (the convert)'s record but also as a nonmember marriage, which is strange because she is and was a member from the beginning.
Then I think you probably do need to contact Local Unit Support.
alexkolson

Post by alexkolson »

I ended up just "terminating" the incorrect non-member marriages on both records and then adding a civil marriage with all the previous information on his official member record which of course reflected on hers as well. Then when they (hopefully) get sealed someday, the temple can add sealing ordinance and dates and whatnot.

Thanks for your help though! I didn't even know about Local Unit Support, although I think since I'm outside of North America I'd have to call my local administrative office or something.

Thanks again!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

alexkolson wrote:Thanks for your help though! I didn't even know about Local Unit Support, although I think since I'm outside of North America I'd have to call my local administrative office or something.
Just for future use, you can get your local contact information for membership issues from this help center page.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

alexkolson wrote:I ended up just "terminating" the incorrect non-member marriages on both records and then adding a civil marriage with all the previous information on his official member record which of course reflected on hers as well. Then when they (hopefully) get sealed someday, the temple can add sealing ordinance and dates and whatnot.
You may still want to contact local unit support to check the record. Based on what you described, both records now show a previous marriage and then a second marriage to the same person.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

This is why I ask the missionaries to allow me to review the convert baptism form. If the convert has a family relationship with other members, I want to ensure they are identified by MRN on the form, so when the new record is created, it will be linked to family members.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Quoted for emphasis.
scgallafent wrote:You may still want to contact local unit support to check the record. Based on what you described, both records now show a previous marriage and then a second marriage to the same person.
While what you did got the desired results, it does mess up the history which is part of the record, even if you don't see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alexkolson

Post by alexkolson »

scgallafent wrote:You may still want to contact local unit support to check the record. Based on what you described, both records now show a previous marriage and then a second marriage to the same person.
Done. Explained the situation and they have submitted the info to the Membership department to correct the history.
drepouille wrote:This is why I ask the missionaries to allow me to review the convert baptism form. If the convert has a family relationship with other members, I want to ensure they are identified by MRN on the form, so when the new record is created, it will be linked to family members.
Yeah this is actually a good idea. Thank you!

And thanks everyone for letting me know to contact Local Unit Support anyway, so that the record history can be corrected.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”