Tithing payment for a deceased member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jshelton

Tithing payment for a deceased member

Post by jshelton »

We have had a member recently pass. Her son is trying to finalize her tithing payments. She wasn't a member of our unit at time of passing. Can he pay that tithing with our unit or do we need to have him pay it in her ward where she passed from? Thanks.
eblood66

Re: Tithing payment for a deceased member

Post by eblood66 »

Tithing can be paid in any unit. However, if the payment is made in your ward her son will need to get tax statements, if needed, from both your ward and her home ward. When the person is still alive they could get a consolidated statement online or sent from church headquarters. But the LDS Account of a deceased member is deleted and consolidated statements are only sent for those whose records are still in a ward. So neither of those options will be available.
sgliske

Post by sgliske »

I have a similar circumstance, where a member of the ward needs previous year tax returns for their deceased parent. The parent was a member of our ward at time of death. It seems I have no option to get this information for them. How can they proceed and how can I help them?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sgliske wrote:I have a similar circumstance, where a member of the ward needs previous year tax returns for their deceased parent. The parent was a member of our ward at time of death. It seems I have no option to get this information for them. How can they proceed and how can I help them?
If they're looking for the 2016 tax statement, it's not ready yet. Last year, it wasn't ready until about the 19th.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
boult

Post by boult »

sgliske wrote:I have a similar circumstance, where a member of the ward needs previous year tax returns for their deceased parent. The parent was a member of our ward at time of death. It seems I have no option to get this information for them. How can they proceed and how can I help them?
I have the exact same question. Did you ever get an answer?
David294

Post by David294 »

My mother is trying to get my father's tithing information for 2016. He passed away last month.

We can log on to his account, but it tells us that his account cannot access this information. I can get her information, but most of their donations were processed under his name.

My mother needs this for her taxes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

David294 wrote:My mother is trying to get my father's tithing information for 2016. He passed away last month.

We can log on to his account, but it tells us that his account cannot access this information. I can get her information, but most of their donations were processed under his name.
I'm surprised you were able to log into his account. I'd have expected it to be deleted when the ward processed his death. Perhaps his account was never linked.

I'd talk with the ward to get a tax statement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
David294

Post by David294 »

The account will log in but it will not access even the ward directory. The Ward was not sure how to do this so they suggested that my mother talk to me because I was a ward clerk in the recent past and have had a lot of computer experience. I will probably have to assist them in trying.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

David294 wrote:The Ward was not sure how to do this so they suggested ...
If the ward clerk doesn't know how to do this, then he should contact the stake clerk (who is responsible for his training) or call Local Unit Support.

eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
David294 wrote:The Ward was not sure how to do this so they suggested ...
If the ward clerk doesn't know how to do this, then he should contact the stake clerk (who is responsible for his training) or call Local Unit Support.
I'm not sure if in the future wards will be able to print statements like this but right now the ability to generate individual end of year statements has been disabled. So the only way it might be possible for the ward to get the statement isn't available right now. So I think a call to LUS is the only option at this point.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”