External access through firewall?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
ldsrussp

External access through firewall?

Post by ldsrussp »

Does the Church approved firewall allow one to access a church network from outside? I'm assuming it does since I know FHC support often does this. I have not installed any of the firewalls yet as I'm still deciding on wireless gear. However, once I do install the networks I really would like to be able to administer the wireless network remotely since some of our buildings are well over an hour from my home. Will the firewall prevent this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russp wrote:Does the Church approved firewall allow one to access a church network from outside?

Not that anyone has reported. You can ask nicely and see what happens. :)
russp wrote:I'm assuming it does since I know FHC support often does this.

I think they're doing that via a desktop client that "reaches out" to make the connection rather then passively waiting for a connection. if not, then they are probably "inside" the VPN rather then coming from the Internet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russp wrote:Does the Church approved firewall allow one to access a church network from outside? I'm assuming it does since I know FHC support often does this. I have not installed any of the firewalls yet as I'm still deciding on wireless gear. However, once I do install the networks I really would like to be able to administer the wireless network remotely since some of our buildings are well over an hour from my home. Will the firewall prevent this?
I tried to get approval to access the network through our FHC Cisco PIX 501 firewall. The answer was that for security reasons only the Church GSD has access. Access to the network requires access to the firewall and that for now only they will have that access. For the FHC Cisco PIX 501 the VPN is managed by the LANDesk Manager software. I do not know how the VPN is managed for the Cisco ASA 5505.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

This is unfortunate. It will severely limit the kinds of help I can give as over an hour is a long ways to go to give support. They may have to call someone directly in those wards to do the support.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”