Is Shareable Calendar Sync URL Available?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
lryangray

Is Shareable Calendar Sync URL Available?

Post by lryangray »

I'm wondering if there's any way to generate a shareable calendar URL. From everything I've seen and read I've only come across the individual calendar sync URL's that say they're specifically for individual use. This plus the fact that the personal URL's contain all calendars you're subscribed to have me wondering if there's any way to get/generate a shareable URL. Ideally I'm looking for a URL for a specific organization, ie ward YM, or EQ, etc. There are 2 specific use cases I have for a shareable URL that contains only a ward organization's calendar (as opposed to multiple organizations/subscriptions).

1. To use with non-official organization Facebook pages. This URL could be used to display the calendar in the FB group for members of that group to see.
2. To be able to share that URL with non-members. One case is that we have some non-member YM/YW that participate and it would be helpful to be able to share the calendar with their parents who are also non-members without LDS accounts.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is Shareable Calendar Sync URL Available?

Post by russellhltn »

No, there is none. It's strictly for personal use.

It hasn't been brought up lately, but I know way back in the original Local Unit Website, we were cautioned about making youth activity programs publicly available. Possibly due to concerns about predators, some who are conversant in "mormonise".

I know of at least one member who was concerned that such a calendar would advertise to everyone who knew him on when he wouldn't be home.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lryangray

Re: Is Shareable Calendar Sync URL Available?

Post by lryangray »

Thanks for the quick reply! Agreed on the security concerns. In our case the FB groups are secret so not publicly visible, and we'd be sharing the URL's with specific non-members for the purposes of communicating upcoming activities for their youth. So we wouldn't be making them publicly visible per se, but I can see how that could happen with non-individual URL's and then leading to the security concerns you mentioned.

Return to “Calendar”