Google Chrome

garysturn

Google Chrome

Post by garysturn »

I just downloaded Google Chrome (their new web browser). It is very fast, seems to render nFS the same as Firefox. It loads much faster than IE on every page I have visited. It worked with flash right from the start without loading the flash player, maybe it used the player I already had loaded for Firefox. I am sure a lot of people will start using this browser because it is from Google. Seems to work on all Church sites I have tried it on.

http://www.google.com/chrome/
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Only for windows users, at present time.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
brado426

Post by brado426 »

I tried it this morning also. I have already noticed several style problems on various sites.

From a developer's point of view, this seems like a huge negative. "Great... another non-standard browser that must be tested and supported."

Brad O.
jmaxwilson

Post by jmaxwilson »

When I first read about it yesterday, my first reaction was similar: Oh No! Not another Browser to support!" But I downloaded and tried it this morning, and I like it. It also rendered all but one of the pages I tested it on just fine.

The good news is that it is open source, so bad style rendering problems will likely get fixed in a much shorter time than they do in IE. :p

And the church websites I tried seemed to work fine as well.

Brad O.

What websites did you have trouble with? Are they using XHTML or HTML? Strict/Transitional/Loose Doctype?
garysturn

Google Chrome same rendering as Firefox

Post by garysturn »

Chrome rendered nFS almost exactly the way Firefox does. Firefox does not render it properly, but not unusable. There is another thread where Firefox's rendering of nFS was discussed. Google Chrome renders it the same way.

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.ph ... ht=firefox
Gary Turner
Code of Conduct
brado426

Post by brado426 »

jmaxwilson wrote:
Brad O.

What websites did you have trouble with? Are they using XHTML or HTML? Strict/Transitional/Loose Doctype?

All the problems I have seen so far have been with HTML Transitional 1.0.
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

I've not read much about chrome. What was Googles reason for creating yet another browser? I mean we have many already that are getting to be mainstream.

IE
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Konqueror

Tom
brado426

Post by brado426 »

tomw wrote:I've not read much about chrome. What was Googles reason for creating yet another browser? I mean we have many already that are getting to be mainstream.

IE
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Konqueror

Tom

Because Google wants to have complete control over the entire "Internet Experience."

After using Chrome for a day, I really like the history/favorites that includes a screenshot of the website. It makes it a lot easier to find the site you need.

However, I have also found 4 new compatibility glitches. In one case, a button appears on top of a textbox so you can't read the text.

Brad O.
garysturn

Google Chrome

Post by garysturn »

tomw wrote:I've not read much about chrome. What was Googles reason for creating yet another browser? I mean we have many already that are getting to be mainstream.

IE
Firefox
Safari
Opera
Konqueror

Tom
They wanted a browser that is based on Web 2.0 type applications. Their new browser is Open Source and they are hoping other browser companies will take their code and improve their own browsers. Since all Google applications are web based they wanted to help shape the direction of the browser market to further enhance their application offerings.

I think Chrome will be used quite heavily on portable devices at first. It is very simple and fast. I don't see many people using it as a primary browser for some time, because many of the plug-ins we all need are not yet supported. It is very similar to Safari and seems to work when ever Safari does, but not many sites support Safari. It is also similar to Firefox but it lacks a lot of the features most people have come to rely on. I am sure that over time it will become a major player in the market.
Gary Turner
Code of Conduct
kd7mha

Google Chrome Links

Post by kd7mha »

Googles Official Blog http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/ ... owser.html
and a comic book covering features found in Google Chrome http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Return to “FamilySearch Products”