Households vs individuals

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
wrigjef

Households vs individuals

Post by wrigjef »

Someone just mentioned that a certain individual (in the ward) is not listed in the directory and asked me to check LCR. I found him in LCR then looked at the directory and saw that I have to go through his parents household to see the person (returned missionary) that we were looking for.

What is the reasoning behind only listing households in the directory? It would seem beneficial to have another tab for "individuals".
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Households vs individuals

Post by russellhltn »

It would help in cases where spouses don't share a common name.

On a different tact, the bishop might consider making the RM his own household.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm guessing if there were some good development focus put into the LDS.org Directory, an individual view would be added, since it's available in LDS Tools. I don't know why they chose household view as the main view from a historical perspective, but I think it's safe to say that the reason why it's not there today is because the department that oversees membership records is directing more resources towards Leader and Clerk Resources and the LDS Tools app, than the LDS.org Directory. The LDS.org Directory follows several steps behind.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

sbradshaw wrote:I don't know why they chose household view as the main view from a historical perspective
I don't know either but my guess would be to mirror how printed ward directories where pretty much always organized. And with the search function you can usually find the member you are looking for even when the last name differs from the household name.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”