What equipment is "Authorized"

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jerald100

What equipment is "Authorized"

Post by jerald100 »

Getting information from our FM Group about what equipment is authorized by the church for webcasts. They are saying one PTZ camera, one mobile camera and one screen. Not sure what a mobile camera constitutes (maybe just not a hard mounted to the building). Also not sure what they mean by one screen. Going to follow up with them for more information but any information from this group would be appreciated. Seems like there are a lot of multiple camera setups also with hymn words etc... Would like to know if authorized is just what the FM group is allowed to purchase for the building or if we can purchase ourselves, or if not authorized is more like not allowed...

Thanks for any feedback.

Jerry Smith
Pocatello, Idaho
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: What equipment is "Authorized"

Post by russellhltn »

Last I knew, FM only bought the encoder. The camera and other equipment the stake had to buy. The church discourages multi-camera setups in favor of keeping things simple.

As far as screens, I think it's one per building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

In 2015 FM was authorized to pay for the Teradek VidiU encoder. Section 8 of the Meetinghouse Technology Policy https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... y?lang=eng authorizes Stake Presidents to use local unit funds for all additional webcast equipment not provided by FM.
rannthal
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by rannthal »

I'm not aware of any "authorized" equipment. As what has been stated, the FM group has purchased the VidiU and the stake can purchase their own equipment with their own funds at the stake presidents discretion.

Basically any equipment is allowed to webcast, but if you do not use the VidiU and a camera that is recommended then you won't get any support if you call the support line. (Just not enough resources to test and figure out all the different equipment that can be used to webcast. Its a resource thing not a hardware/equipment thing.)
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

My stake had to purchase the camera and we also purchased an audio/video mixer, which has helped a lot. I have been told to keep it simple and pretty much standard so that the next person who needs to run the system will find it easy. Let me give you and example. One of the stakes in my area had a guy who set up this elaborate system to do webcasting between two buildings. As long as he was there to run it, it worked terrific. It was my understand he was teaching others to work it as well, but after he moved on no one could understand what he did or how to get it to work. So that stake ended up having it ripped out and a more simple/standard system installed, so that everyone could understand how it worked.

One final note, we have told not to make it into a production. It should be kept simple and straight forward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In addition to the link provided above, I'd suggest reading the Help Center section on Webcast. That spells out the expectations and who pays for what.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”