Deleting a Highlight

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
jackcastle

Deleting a Highlight

Post by jackcastle »

With 4.0 I can not figure out how to delete a highlight. When I open the previous highlight there is what looks like a trash can but clicking on it appears to not do anything. Any suggestions?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Deleting a Highlight

Post by sbradshaw »

Do you have multiple highlights on top of each other? If that happens, you may need to tap and delete multiple times.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jackcastle

Post by jackcastle »

I've done that multiple times with no result. I highlight the passage I want to delete then tap on the highlight icon then tap the trash can on the far right. Nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you see a highlight icon, it means you held your finger on the word or words too long, and the app thinks you want to create a new highlight. If you quickly tap (without resting your finger too long), you should see a different list of menu options (no highlight option), and from there you can tap delete. Long-pressing creates a new selection/highlight, while quick-tapping selects a highlight for editing.
reedcarr

Tapping works if there is note but not just a highlight

Post by reedcarr »

If I try to edit/delete a highlight that does NOT have any note, cross reference, etc, I don't get any pop up menu, so I can't delete, change or edit.
robfanny

Post by robfanny »

"if you see a highlight icon, it means you held your finger on the word or words too long, and the app thinks you want to create a new highlight. If you quickly tap (without resting your finger too long), you should see a different list of menu options (no highlight option), and from there you can tap delete. Long-pressing creates a new selection/highlight, while quick-tapping selects a highlight for editing."

I read this suggestion but simply can't get it to work. A quick tap yields nothing. anything longer yields the usual selection menu with no option to delete.

This is my experience: make a selection and hilite--works no problem. If I delete right away (before unselecting) I can delete. If I deselect, then no option for deleting.

Am I doing something wrong?

Phil
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It's hard to visualize exactly what you're seeing, but my recommendation would be to sit down with someone in your ward who is experienced with Gospel Library and compare his steps to highlight or delete highlights with what you're doing. Maybe you could try highlighting on his device to see if something with your device is different and causing problems. I'm sorry I can't help more at a distance!
robfanny

Post by robfanny »

Actually I've been able to delete now

Seems to take some skill. Remember that I'm talking about deleting unselected hilites.

I just keep tapping. One tap doesn't do it.

Then I click on arrow to scroll to next screen

I've been using this app since v1.

For me, the best features are hiliting any text, and bi-directional linking.

Love the app!!

Thx
tczimm

Post by tczimm »

I agree that being able to select an area that has already been highlighted is a very unpredictable experience. Occasionally (not very often) one tap will bring up the appropriate dialog box. Also occasionally a double click will do it. More often I randomly tap (often not so gently in frustration) and the dialog box will come up or I will give up.
I am using an iPad model A1458, running version 10.2 (14C92)
robfanny

Post by robfanny »

I have a new iPad. One quick tap on a hilite brings up The appropriate menu for me. However I also have an old iPhone and it is very frustrating for me to be able to find the delete icon. Fortunately I don't have to do it too often.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”