Can Finance Clerk access tithing declaration in LCR?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jayriggity

Can Finance Clerk access tithing declaration in LCR?

Post by jayriggity »

When our ward clerk logs in to the LCR page, he can see four tabs under "Tithing Settlement." One of those is "Tithing Declaration."

(I think the same happens for the bishop).

But when our financial clerk logs in, he sees only two tabs, and the "Tithing Declaraion" tab is not one of them.

Is there a way to fix this? The finance clerk had always been able to get this information through MLS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Can Finance Clerk access tithing declaration in LCR?

Post by lajackson »

jayriggity wrote:Is there a way to fix this? The finance clerk had always been able to get this information through MLS.
Apparently no longer at LCR. Only the bishop may make the tithing declaration. The clerk may assist him, but as of now, assistant clerks cannot.

You might wish to send Feedback and ask if the assistant clerk for finances should also be able to assist the bishop in recording tithing declarations. You will find out if it was an oversight or not.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

The Access Table in LCR also says that only the Bishop and Ward Clerk can access the Tithing Declaration page. But I find this odd too. In the wards I've served in this has always been something the finance clerk has handled (unless the bishop does it himself). As far as I've ever seen there hasn't been any policy or instruction that says otherwise.

But maybe they decided tithing declarations should be treated more confidentially than they were previously. But it also means the finance clerk can't even print the blank page for the bishop to use to record declarations.
jayriggity

Post by jayriggity »

It was always available to the finance clerk in MLS -- meaning, it was available just a few weeks ago - so I have a hard time believing that it's a policy instead of just an oversight.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jayriggity wrote:It was always available to the finance clerk in MLS -- meaning, it was available just a few weeks ago - so I have a hard time believing that it's a policy instead of just an oversight.
Rights in MLS were not as fine grained as they are in LCR. So there have often been cases where MLS allowed things that were disallowed when they were moved to LCR. For example, most bishopric counselors could view membership records and move records in and out in MLS. But that isn't allowed in LCR. However, in those cases there was at least some wording the the handbooks or help center instructions that was consistent with the LCR restrictions.

It may be accidental but it is entirely possible that it was a new policy decision too. If so, I find it unfortunate because it increases the burden on the bishop and ward clerk for something that I as finance clerk could previously handle.

But even if it was a policy decision, it's possible that it might change given that there is no related handbook language that I know of. There have been other instances where the initial rights were very restricted and then were loosened after a further consideration.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:But maybe they decided tithing declarations should be treated more confidentially than they were previously.
That would be my guess as well. I noticed that in the Help Center article Conduct Tithing Settlement, it's the bishop's responsibility to record it.

Recording can always be done later. The only time-sensitive part is printing the report. But even that could be done ahead of time. It's still valid even if not completely up to date. And that is the part that I could see changing such that a Finance clerk could print it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I submitted feedback and got a response that this was a policy decision.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I was just looking at the Tithing Settlement section and as finance clerk I can now see the Tithing Declaration and Declaration Summary pages so they may have reconsidered this decision. However, the access table still says that assistant clerks don't have access to those pages.
stuartsampson

Post by stuartsampson »

Branch counsellors also need access to the declarations. Right now I have a branch president who is in hospital following surgery and I have his counsellor doing the tithing settlement but he can't access the declarations he has to wait for the branch clerk!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stuartsampson wrote:Branch counsellors also need access to the declarations. Right now I have a branch president who is in hospital following surgery and I have his counsellor doing the tithing settlement but he can't access the declarations he has to wait for the branch clerk!
Sounds like a "acting branch leader" to me. In general, branch councillors don't need access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”