Odd record problem

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
michael.crook

Odd record problem

Post by michael.crook »

Hello everyone. Long time listener, first-time caller.

There is a situation where a member was rebaptized after excommunication in October. The problem is that it's January, and the records still haven't shown up. The member has clearance to participate in the sacrament administration and is recognized as a member, but without the records, this member can't hold a calling or do much of anything else.

I am assuming this member would get a completely new MRN in the process, as the member advises me that when the old MRN is used, an error generates.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Thanks in advance.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Odd record problem

Post by aebrown »

michael.crook wrote:There is a situation where a member was rebaptized after excommunication in October. The problem is that it's January, and the records still haven't shown up. The member has clearance to participate in the sacrament administration and is recognized as a member, but without the records, this member can't hold a calling or do much of anything else.
That means that the application to the First Presidency Baptism Record for Readmission either wasn't submitted, or had something wrong with it, or has not been processed for some reason. In my experience, those forms have been processed pretty quickly (within a couple of weeks). You didn't say what your calling is; this is generally handled by the stake clerk. If you're not the stake clerk, contact him. If you are the stake clerk, then you or the stake president should contact the Global Service Center, who will help you get in touch with the Confidential Records department to figure out what the problem is.
michael.crook wrote:I am assuming this member would get a completely new MRN in the process, as the member advises me that when the old MRN is used, an error generates.
I wouldn't assume that. If the readmission hasn't been processed, then the membership record is still in the status of an excommunicated member, so of course there would be an error. Once the readmission is properly processed, the record will reappear in the ward, and then you'll know this detail.
Last edited by aebrown on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correct name of form
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

aebrown wrote:That means that the application to the First Presidency either wasn't submitted, or had something wrong with it, or has not been processed for some reason.
If that's the case, then the member couldn't have been re-baptized yet, right?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sbradshaw wrote:
aebrown wrote:That means that the application to the First Presidency either wasn't submitted, or had something wrong with it, or has not been processed for some reason.
If that's the case, then the member couldn't have been re-baptized yet, right?
Good point. I confused the two forms. The application to the First Presidency comes first, and yes, it has to be approved before the rebaptism can take place.

However, there is an additional form called Baptism Record for Readmission. That is the form that is submitted after the baptism actually takes place, and it is that one that triggers the change of membership status. That's the one to follow up on with the stake clerk.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

After a disciplinary council approves readmission of an excommunicated member:

If First Presidency approval for readmission is not required, the member is baptized.
The Report of Church Disciplinary Action form then is submitted along with the Baptism Record for Readmission.
Church headquarters prepares the membership record and returns it to the unit.

If First Presidency approval for readmission is required, the stake president sends an Application to the First Presidency and the Report of Disciplinary Council, and awaits permission for the member to be baptized..

Since the member in question already has been baptized, it is most likely that the first situation applies and that all of the paperwork has not been submitted, or there was a problem with something in the paperwork that was submitted. The stake president should have heard from Confidential Records by now if there was a problem.

A phone call to that department might clarify the matter.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

And I'm sure there have been cases were units, not knowing better, have done their own process and only realize there's a problem when there's no membership record.

Regardless, a phone call is the best way to find out where to go from here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”