Skippage

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
RuthAStone

Skippage

Post by RuthAStone »

I am listening to 1 Nephi 15, as I happen to be following along, when it gets to vs 35 it skips to 1 N 16:35. What just happened there? Is it possible that there are more of these?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Skippage

Post by russellhltn »

Is this with Gospel Library? What OS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I was able to reproduce this issue, at about 8min30sec into the new male voice recording of 1 Nephi 15, verse 35 from chapter 16 is read instead of verse 35 from chapter 15. The recording then returns to chapter 15 to read verse 36. I've passed it along to the content team. Yes, it is possible and even likely that there are other, similar issues in the recording, since the recordings are new and it takes time to iron out all of the kinks.

My favorite that I've seen so far is in the male voice recording of Joseph Smith History, at about 31min41sec, the speaker is recorded saying "Did we get the Chenango?" :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It sounds like the audio scriptures are not held to the same level of checking as the printed versions. :/
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

russellhltn wrote:It sounds like the audio scriptures are not held to the same level of checking as the printed versions. :/
You're right – in general, the scriptures are held to a very high standard when published in a new medium (for good reason).

I'm not sure what standard of QA was required for the audio scriptures before release, but I can understand how daunting of a task it would be to verify that every verse is correct. The old recordings of the English standard works, all together, are about 120 hours. I don't know how long the new recordings take to get through, but there are both male and female recordings, so it's probably somewhere in the 200–300 hours range.

Someone would have to read along with the recording, looking at the text, and if they zone out at any point, they would have to rewind, find their place, and begin again – for 200 to 300 hours. It's easy to understand how a few errors could have gotten through.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sensing an editing/recording assembly error. How else do you jump to the wrong chapter and come back? Perhaps the QA people were too focused at the "tree" (word) level to pay attention to the "forest" (chapter structure).

BTW, is this on lds.org or GL? I want to move the thread to the right area.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I think this only affects Gospel Library for now.
hiltonc

Post by hiltonc »

I heard that the recordings were cut into verses and then reassembled, that might explain such an error.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

hiltonc wrote:I heard that the recordings were cut into verses and then reassembled, that might explain such an error.
If that's the case, I hope they've kept the individual verse audio files. Those could be really handy for doctrinal mastery, readers that scroll in sync with the recording, or use with voice commands. "Siri / OK, Google / Alexa, read 1 John 3:2–3."
patticoombs

Post by patticoombs »

I noticed this problem with the audio in Android. It is not in Win 10 yet because they haven't switched to the new recording. Please don't switch it! I agree with others that the new voices are harder to listen to.

Return to “Gospel Library”