Fast Offering voided Check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thesmith7-p40

Fast Offering voided Check

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

I was recently instructed by my Bishop to void an old outstanding Fast Offering Recipient check.

Do I need to do anything other than void the check in MLS? Will CHQ then do a sweep and take the funds from the ward level?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

thesmith7 wrote:I was recently instructed by my Bishop to void an old outstanding Fast Offering Recipient check.

Do I need to do anything other than void the check in MLS? Will CHQ then do a sweep and take the funds from the ward level?

Thanks
You should follow the standard procedure for voiding any check:
  1. If you do not have the check in your possession, you must call the administration office to make sure it hasn't cleared.
  2. Once you know it has not cleared, you can void it in MLS.
  3. If you do have the check, cut out and destroy the signature section and file the rest of the check with your expense documentation.
Since the check never cleared, there is no sweep to be done. All that will happen is that the outstanding check and corresponding outstanding transfer will cease to appear on the Church Unit Financial Statement.
cherishj

Post by cherishj »

Thanks, Alan, there are a few more factors in being able to void it.

If it's not in your possession, and it was not reissued, we need to know why. Did the bill get paid through other means? Did the payee say they got paid but the check never cleared? Or do you have no idea and the recipient has moved so you have no way to track it down? It may need to be listed on the annual outstanding check report and going through the escheatment process rather than just voiding it.

Please give Church HQ a call at 1-800-453-3860 ext 23500. We'll explain it a little better. Thank you.
thesmith7-p40

Post by thesmith7-p40 »

Thanks, for the responses.

This check was originally written in May 2007. I took over finances in Jan. of this year. I did not recognize the name of the recipient and i don't think it is anyone in our ward anymore. I have voided the check at the request of the Bishop, I will call CHQ to see if that was correct or anything else I need to do.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

13thfloorrocks wrote:Thanks, Alan, there are a few more factors in being able to void it.

If it's not in your possession, and it was not reissued, we need to know why. Did the bill get paid through other means? Did the payee say they got paid but the check never cleared? Or do you have no idea and the recipient has moved so you have no way to track it down? It may need to be listed on the annual outstanding check report and going through the escheatment process rather than just voiding it.

Please give Church HQ a call at 1-800-453-3860 ext 23500. We'll explain it a little better. Thank you.
Thanks for the clarifications -- I did say that you have to call CHQ if you don't have the check in your possession, but my answer was too limited. You gave helpful details on several scenarios that might occur -- all very good reasons why we need to call CHQ in this situation.
LSS-p40

Post by LSS-p40 »

thesmith7 wrote:Thanks, for the responses.

This check was originally written in May 2007. I took over finances in Jan. of this year. I did not recognize the name of the recipient and i don't think it is anyone in our ward anymore. I have voided the check at the request of the Bishop, I will call CHQ to see if that was correct or anything else I need to do.

If you can not find the payee, you will need to put it on the outstanding check form.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”