Show all languages in main study notebook online (suggestion)

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
andrewheiss

Show all languages in main study notebook online (suggestion)

Post by andrewheiss »

I'm a huge fan of the new unified study notebook that I can access in the iOS Gospel Library app and online at lds.org. I'm also a fan of reading the scriptures in a different language (Italian, specifically), and making notes in English.

In iOS (and I'm assuming in other platforms), the study notebook shows a list of all my highlights, notes, and bookmarks for all the languages I have installed, so I can easily jump around to them. Online, however, my study notebook is limited only to English notes and marks unless I append "lang=ita" to the URL (or technically change "lang=eng" to "lang=ita", or any other language code).

It would be great if there were some way to unify the main study notebook list online to include marks from any language you study from (like in iOS). Perhaps in the "Types" submenu in the left sidebar there could be a link for "Highlights (English)" and "Highlights (Italian)" and so forth, including any language that the user has highlighted, bookmarked, or made notes in.
silversunseven

Re: Show all languages in main study notebook online (suggestion)

Post by silversunseven »

any update?, it is now 5 years later, and this still appears to be the same.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

No, LDS.org is still behind on this – it doesn't even support highlighting in other languages (though it does show them in the Notes and Journal section at least, as andrewheiss discovered, if you're switched to that language). I'd suggest sending feedback using the feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dpicken

Post by dpicken »

By accident, I notice that lds.org has recently activated languages other than English (probably called "foreign" languages by the makers of these things). At any rate, I can now see lots of entries in my Notebook area when I work in German. Unfortunately the result is rather chaotic:
- there is no direct link to the Journal in the "My Account" pull-down menu, I have to reach it via "All Tools"
- it shows me a couple of thousand entries in German (presumably the result of my marking passages in the mobile app), but these are not categorized in any way
- This compares to just a couple of hundred entries (all nicely grouped when I work in English)
- it lists all my Notebooks (called Sammlungen in German) but they are empty
- It seems to have preserved all my Tags, but I don't see the tagged scriptures when I click on the tag in the navigator

So it seems that what you see depends on the language you choose, but it's not clear how the system decides:
- Is it the language of the content? (I don't think so)
- Is it the language I was working in when I made the annotations? (that might be it, but I have some examples that show in both languages)
- or does the system have a different algorithm?

My choice is a simple one: PLEASE show me ALL my annotations ALL THE TIME!

Is this the right place to be making suggestions / asking for improvements? If not, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The best way to contact the LDS.org team is through the Feedback link at the bottom of LDS.org. Good luck!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”