Digital Scripture formats w/ smartphones

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Galorin-p40

Digital Scripture formats w/ smartphones

Post by Galorin-p40 »

I'm finding myself tempted by the iphone/ipod touch (As I already own a decent phone). In addition, several of the members in our unit have digital versions of the scriptures, and lesson manuals. I am not sure if the latter is notes or actual manuals.

What I am looking for is a platform that'll give me lesson manuals, scriptures, and ideally notetaking/bookmarking w/ tags in a digital format. Do any of you have any suggestions, or things that you use like this on a regular basis?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I did a lot of research 3 or 4 years ago when I bought an HP iPAQ PDA and found the YanCEyWare Reader had by far the most free LDS ebooks of all the available PDA reader formats. Earlier this year I was researching buying a smartphone as a way to reduce some of the gadgetry I carry around and decided on the Samsung BlackJack II. It runs Windows Mobile 6 (definite plusses and minuses there) and armed with a 4GB micro-SD card, I was able to load the YanCEyWare Reader and just about every LDS ebook from HERE, many classic literature titles from HERE, some more LDS titles HERE (Including every General Conference Ensign dating back to the 1970's), and still have ~3GB left over! And yes, the manuals and magazines are the full, illustrated versions, most with working scriptural and footnote links. As with most readers, you can create bookmarks, keep personal notes, etc.

There are also Spanish LDS ebooks HERE, Russian versions HERE, Chinese HERE and I'm not sure how many others are being worked on.

I'm certain there are better smartphones on the market, and definitely different and perhaps better readers available, but I have yet to see a match to this type of library. There's my 2¢. I hope others will be able to offer some experiences with other available readers.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Galorin-p40

Post by Galorin-p40 »

I found a program for the iphone called Stanza, which takes books in the ePub format. Doesn't look like it is possible to convert from YanCEyWare to ePub, AFAIK.
My device also doesn't need to be a smartphone, but I need to justify the £250 expense incurred by purchasing the ipod touch on it's own, or any other smartphone, esp. considering legibility issues and advantages of dead-tree editions of the Standard Works et. al.. Yours is a good suggestion, and needs due consideration.

Other ideas welcome, keep 'em coming.
lfalin-p40

Post by lfalin-p40 »

There are several options for the iPhone/iPod Touch right now, though none currently do everything you are asking for.

The one that I am responsible for (http://leefalin.com/projects/scriptures/) is free and currently contains the standard works only. (It also allows you to search across the standard works). I am planning on adding other content some time in the near future as well as scripture marking and annotation capabilities.

Lee
Galorin-p40

Post by Galorin-p40 »

I'll keep an eye on your project Lee, and look forward to annotations and such. Have you got any sort of timeline for the inclusion of footnotes etc.? Oh oh.. I know! How about in-line JST? ;-)

I still don't know if the i* stuff will succumb to hype and excitement dying off, but if it can survive, methinks seeing Church-developed lesson manuals etc. for the Apple products would be welcome
lfalin-p40

Post by lfalin-p40 »

I don't have a timeline at the moment. Since school started back up development has had to slow down a bit, but I hope to have more updates soon.

Lee
surakmn-p40

Options for Android

Post by surakmn-p40 »

Unfortunately we seem to be at a point where there are fewer PDA options as more people consolidate to a single device, and the newest smartphones don't necessarily have software that will support the older formats.

A good example is Mobi, which is ubiquitous, and since being purchased by Amazon is seen as a Kindle competitor and isn't being developed for new platforms. It was ported to Symbian and Blackberry before Amazon took over, but there are no plans to develop it for Android or iPhone.

eReader is another old format that is also quite common. Fortunately, that has been developed for iPhone and is being released shortly for Android.

Few smartphones have large enough screen to really be viable as a book reader beyond looking up the occasional scripture or paragraph in Sunday School class.

Does anyone here actually use a smartphone as a primary ebook reader? I'm upgrading to the myTouch and with iSilo and eReader available, will be able to get by just fine for my scriptures and church manuals, but my wife has gigabytes of ebooks and the format compatibility and screen size issues are major for her. I'd be interested in your recommendations.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

surakmn wrote:Does anyone here actually use a smartphone as a primary ebook reader? I'm upgrading to the myTouch and with iSilo and eReader available, will be able to get by just fine for my scriptures and church manuals, but my wife has gigabytes of ebooks and the format compatibility and screen size issues are major for her. I'd be interested in your recommendations.

I have not been motivated to do a lot of ebook reading on my Android. But I do use Reveal for the convenience of carrying a large body of church titles, including scriptures, that are available in the YanCEyWare format. It works fine for my needs.

Have you searched the Android market for apps that read other formats? Search the Cyrket web interface to Market via Google with "ebook site:cyrket.com" and you'll get hits on a bunch of apps. I express no opinion about any of them.
rwood-p40

Epub format

Post by rwood-p40 »

So I have a EZReader and needed to be able to read the scriptures. So I created an epub using sigil and some ASCII scriptures text I found. I can't attach it here, it's a bit too large. So here's a link to the file, at least for the next 90 days.

http://rapidshare.com/files/322290903/T ... .epub.html

I hope you find it helpful.
rwood-p40

Updated address.

Post by rwood-p40 »

So I guess the rapidshare link met its download limit. Here's a more permanent home for it.

http://flintworx.com/ebooks/LDSQuad.epub

Return to “General Discussions”