Creating a Spanish group within ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gmitch

Creating a Spanish group within ward

Post by gmitch »

My bishop has asked that I create a separate group for the Spanish speakers in our ward. This group would contain relief society and priesthood subgroups.
How do we do that?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Creating a Spanish group within ward

Post by lajackson »

gmitch wrote:My bishop has asked that I create a separate group for the Spanish speakers in our ward.
In it's most simple form, you would use two additional classrooms, one for Spanish-speaking brethren and one for Spanish-speaking sisters. In the priesthood meeting, you would have a member of the elders quorum presidency be in charge, and in the Relief Society meeting a member of the RS presidency.

It can get more complicated from there, up to and including a separate language-speaking branch. I trust that the bishop has discussed his plans with the stake president. There is some guidance in the Handbook.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:There is some guidance in the Handbook.
Handbook 1: 9.1.4. But that may be a step up from what you're trying to do. I think that addresses groups that meet separately.

As for MLS/LCR, it's not required, but to have separate class rolls, you'll need to split the classes and manually assign members to the appropriate class.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you have more than 5–10 Spanish-speaking elders, you could work with the stake to have a second elders quorum president called, so you can have two separate elders quorums. Similarly, your Relief Society could be split into two Relief Societies (English and Spanish). Having multiple elders quorums and Relief Societies isn't common, but it's fully supported by the Handbook. You could also have someone called to teach a Spanish Gospel Doctrine and/or Gospel Principles class.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
gmitch

Post by gmitch »

We have cleared this through the stake and they have called a group leader and two counselors. We have had a separate Spanish meeting (after sacrament is past) and separate Priesthood, SS, and RS for the adults. We are now talking about separate YM/YW and even primary (our primary is already small, so this may not happen).
I can set up more classes, but how do I handle Spanish leadership callings, etc. and Home Teaching groups?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

gmitch wrote:I can set up more classes, but how do I handle Spanish leadership callings, etc. and Home Teaching groups?
I took a look at a unit in my stake that has a deaf group - they're simply entered in as "other callings". Keep in mind that group leaders have no special rights or keys. See Handbook 1: 9.1.4, 5th paragraph.

If your group is that large, you may want to consider changing it to a branch.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”