Links - for lessons

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
wrigjef

Links - for lessons

Post by wrigjef »

With the elimination of both lesson schedules and newsletters, I'm looking for an alternative that will allow links for lesson materials. Perhaps I can create a calander for lesson schedules but need it to support links. Is this possible? I really want to stay within the LDS.org domain but I'm also exploring the possibility of finding the functionality on Facebook of somewhere else.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Links - for lessons

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:Perhaps I can create a calander for lesson schedules but need it to support links. Is this possible?
Calendar does not currently support links. While not a clickable link, you can enter the URL and users can copy and paste into their browser.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible that if the URL is formatted a certain way (http://www.lds.org) or (https://lds.org) that the user's device will interpret the text as a link. I've seen that happen before.

In fact, that seems to be happening in Chrome with this message. There is no BB code to make it a link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks.
Does anyone have any other solutions?
Unit needs are to make the schedule online and with clickable links
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I include a link to lesson schedules in my weekly newsletter which I email to the members using either the Directory, or Send a Message in LCR.... Works great!
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

Thanks individual emails just may be the way to go for us. Seems that it would serve to inform active members to study the lesson while also letting less active members know that we care. I do anticipate that some members will not truely appreciate a weekly email and complain. Have you experienced this and how do you deal with it?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

wrigjef wrote:Thanks individual emails just may be the way to go for us. Seems that it would serve to inform active members to study the lesson while also letting less active members know that we care. I do anticipate that some members will not truely appreciate a weekly email and complain. Have you experienced this and how do you deal with it?
I very seldom get any complaints, but if I do, I remove their email address from their listing in the directory.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:It's possible that if the URL is formatted a certain way (http://www.lds.org) or (https://lds.org) that the user's device will interpret the text as a link. I've seen that happen before.

In fact, that seems to be happening in Chrome with this message. There is no BB code to make it a link.
In this case, it's definitely not Chrome that is changing the text into a link -- it is the forum software (phpBB). Examining the HTML produced by the PHP shows that it contains actual <a> tags, which phpBB will often generate from text that looks like a link, even in the absence of a BB code such as [url] to force a link.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I wish there was a way to exclude those complainers from the (blast) email to the ward with the lesson schedule without removing their email addresses from the directory. I spend quite a bit of time trying to get members to post email addresses, and pictures so they can be identified and a new home or visiting teacher can contact them.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

wrigjef wrote:I wish there was a way to exclude those complainers from the (blast) email to the ward with the lesson schedule without removing their email addresses from the directory. I spend quite a bit of time trying to get members to post email addresses, and pictures so they can be identified and a new home or visiting teacher can contact them.
You can do this fairly easily by deleting their name from the email before you send it. I have done this at times when someone didn't want the newsletter but we wanted to retain their email address with their directory information.

Return to “Calendar”