Bishop Lost Membership Info Update Rights in LDS Tools

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jwhatcott

Bishop Lost Membership Info Update Rights in LDS Tools

Post by jwhatcott »

I am a bishop. Until recently I have been able to update some aspects of member records (phone numbers and email mostly) when I discover errors. I was also able to add photos. It seems that these features have been removed from LDS Tools altogether. I now have no ability to edit anything in LDS Tools. I can still update things just fine in LCR. Will the edit functionality be restored to LDS Tools anytime soon? What's the backstory here?

Until recently, I also had the ability to update directory visibility for members via LDS Tools. In fact, this was the ONLY way to update this information on behalf of a member as there is no way to do it via LCR. This functionality was useful for removing people from directories (for non-leadership) who have requested not to be contacted. Of course, these people could go in and do it themselves via lds.org, but many such people do not have accounts set up and have a hard time understanding why the Bishopric cannot help them reduce their visibility. Is there any other way to recover this functionality?

With the above two issues, it feels like the LDS Tools is taking steps backward. I hope this can be quickly reversed.

Regards,

JRW
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Bishop Lost Membership Info Update Rights in LDS Tools

Post by russellhltn »

jwhatcott wrote:I now have no ability to edit anything in LDS Tools. I can still update things just fine in LCR. Will the edit functionality be restored to LDS Tools anytime soon? What's the backstory here?
I don't know for a fact. But I have heard rumors that the privacy/legal people were mighty nervous about all the information in LDS Tools floating around on people's mobile device. I'm speculating that some information/functions were removed because of their legal concerns. If true, I wouldn't hold my breath on it coming back.

jwhatcott wrote:Until recently, I also had the ability to update directory visibility for members via LDS Tools. In fact, this was the ONLY way to update this information on behalf of a member as there is no way to do it via LCR.
You should be able to do that in the directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jwhatcott

Post by jwhatcott »

Thanks for the response, russellhltn. You are correct on the ability to edit directory visibility in the directory itself. I was looking for it in LCR.

WRT the privacy issues, I would expect that all the information is encrypted at rest, at least for leadership. I have to authenticate via PIN or TouchID every time I open the app as well, which makes sense given what it in there. The mobile web version of LCR currently has way more functionality than the native LDS Tools app. It would be great if they were in sync. Overall, this just feels like two different dev teams that are leap frogging each other. I am just not sure why one of them appears to be stepping backward. Oh well.

JRW
chris_hazeldine

Post by chris_hazeldine »

Yes I agree, the content is still there - just now have no ability to update anything so end up using LCR on the mobile device rather than the App. Changing privacy was something that I ran into today, so need to use a third resource to do that update :-(

Bishop Hazeldine

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”