Don't get this "invisible" highlighting style

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
bradhayashi

Don't get this "invisible" highlighting style

Post by bradhayashi »

Would someone be so kind as to explain this to me? I select it and nothing seems to happen with my highlight.

Thanks!
ToManyLetters

Re: Don't get this "invisible" highlighting style

Post by ToManyLetters »

Invisible highlights are more for notes. They allow users to change the highlight color of a note to invisible (clear) so that the highlight doesn't diminish readability but is still tied to a particular reference. This feature has been available on Gospel Library for Windows and Gospel Library for Android for quite some time.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
bradhayashi

Post by bradhayashi »

OK, thanks. However, I used it for an note and a tag, but it doesn't appear invisible. Maybe I'm applying it incorrectly?
cnj87

Post by cnj87 »

I think it's buggy. I find that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

As an aside, I think this is really weird functionality. If I'm tagging something, that doesn't mean I want it highlighted. If I'm writing a note for something, that doesn't mean I want it highlighted. IMHO, it should only display a little tag or a little note icon, with no highlighting - unless I highlight the passage as a separate step. Combining those features is really weird to me.
ToManyLetters

Post by ToManyLetters »

All of the annotations are technically combined in the background. iOS and Android don't seem to hide that quite as well as they maybe ought to. On Windows, for example, when you add a tag in, the default is an invisible highlight. (Annotations like tags have to have something to "tie to", hence the invisible highlight). If you do want it to be marked with color, you can just switch it to the color of your choice.
Learn more about Gospel Library for Windows 10 Beta at the link below:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Gospel_Library_for_Windows_10
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bradhayashi wrote:OK, thanks. However, I used it for an note and a tag, but it doesn't appear invisible. Maybe I'm applying it incorrectly?
Are you syncing with an old version of Gospel Library? Some previous versions of Gospel Library converted clear highlights to yellow (because they didn't know what to do with them). Sometimes the conversion to yellow then syncs back to the server and other devices. Or, do you have multiple highlights on top of each other, and you're seeing another one underneath?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
cnj87

Post by cnj87 »

When I insert a clear highlight in the iOS app and then login to LDS.org, it shows up as a yellow highlight on there. So I guess the iOS version supports clear highlights while the web version does not?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

cnj87 wrote:When I insert a clear highlight in the iOS app and then login to LDS.org, it shows up as a yellow highlight on there. So I guess the iOS version supports clear highlights while the web version does not?
Yes, that's correct. LDS.org is currently behind on several things, including clear highlights, linking, etc.
corwinslack

Post by corwinslack »

Clear highlights seem to be a misconceived result of removing notes and links from the standard footnote window. Because there is no need to tie a footnote to a highlight in this new ill-conceived scheme a clear highlight makes some sense.

Please give us the old footnote display back.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The addition of clear highlights to Gospel Library for iOS doesn't have anything to do with the sidebar. Clear highlights have existed in Gospel Library for Android for several years, and were added to iOS with this release so that annotations made in Android would show up the same on iOS (previously, they were just displayed as yellow, the default color, which was confusing and annoying to people who had a lot of clear highlights on Android). It has never been possible, on Android or iOS, to tie a user-created note/tag/link to a verse without associating it with some kind of highlight. This is a historical limitation that may change at some point in the future.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”