Select a whole verse option gone?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
kwlindsay

Select a whole verse option gone?

Post by kwlindsay »

I miss the option to double-tap and hold below a verse, which then selected the whole verse in a selection square. They you could easily expand the selection square to more verses for marking, adding notes, etc. Will this be added back in? Is there a different "gesture" ie double tap and hold, that I'm not aware of for this function? In my opinion, the select and drag way of doing this is much more cumbersome, and glitchy if you try to drag beyond the currently shown verses. It used to scroll smoothly up or down when you dragged to the edges - not so any longer.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Select a whole verse option gone?

Post by sbradshaw »

If you select anything in a verse, then drag to expand the selection beyond the end of the verse, the entire verse will become selected. At that point, you can drag the verse selection handles to include more verses. Gospel Library uses the same built-in selection mechanism as other iOS apps, like Safari.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kwlindsay

Post by kwlindsay »

Yes, I understand this. What I am asking is if the previous functionality of the double-tap and hold to select an entire verse will return. Other apps do this as well, ie Deseret Book's app.
Also, try dragging up or down past the page. In the past, it would smoothly scroll. Now it it's jittery, hard to control, and what is highlighted doesn't match the outline box.

I liked the old way much better.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wasn't able to select the way you're describing in Gospel Library 3 or in the Deseret Bookshelf. I just talked to one of the Gospel Library for iOS QA engineers, and he said he thinks this used to be possible with a previous version of iOS, but the functionality changed when iOS updated (not Gospel Library specifically). Gospel Library uses the built-in web view rendering provided by iOS, for displaying and/or selecting content, so unfortunately it won't be back unless Apple adds it back into iOS.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
kwlindsay

Post by kwlindsay »

Thanks for you help, Sam.

I've attached a .mov file demonstrating what I'm talking about. This worked on my iPad in GL until I updated to 4.x on the 16th. The demonstration still works in the Deseret Book app. Not an IOS issue - I'm running the latest - 10.2.

Thanks,

Kirk
Attachments
My Movie.zip
Zipped .mp4 file
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 130 times

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”