Creating a link - how to navigate to related reference

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
GrasseDD

Creating a link - how to navigate to related reference

Post by GrasseDD »

All I get is a search page. Is this how it works now?
If so, I'm not very good at it. Tried to link to a paragraph in an Ensign article, but searching for "Ensign" only brought up the entries for "ensign" in the Topical Guide and Guide to the Scriptures.
Is there a more complete tutorial for this? The illustration in the new Tips didn't help me.
Thanks,
D.G.
lmcguire

Re: Creating a link - how to navigate to related reference

Post by lmcguire »

Really? I'm not going to reinstall just to find out, but now you have to search for what you want to link to rather than navigating to it? Someone please tell me that's not true (i.e. that searching isn't the only way to link).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Try searching for "January 2001" or whatever the month is, instead of "Ensign." You should see suggestions appear for the Ensign, New Era, Friend, Liahona, and (depending) conference for that month.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

sbradshaw wrote:Try searching for "January 2001" or whatever the month is, instead of "Ensign." You should see suggestions appear for the Ensign, New Era, Friend, Liahona, and (depending) conference for that month.
Good idea--thanks.
D.G.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

I've avoided adding any links in the new version, but today thought I'd try again. Studying 2 Corinthians 13, and recalled that Elder Oaks referred to v14 during his Conference address, and thought it would be a helpful link.
I selected the text, made my way to the Link command, and once again had to try and search my way to his talk.
Typed in "godhead oaks". First, it auto-corrected "godhead" to "hothead".
Then, nothing in the results.
There is no "search" button to force it to search, so I assume it lists results on the fly only.
Anyway, nothing.

I'd really like to add this link, though, so it is worth to me to come to the forum here and ask how I can trick GLA into linking it.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
D.G.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Did you try typing the name of the conference? ("April 2017")
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

sbradshaw wrote:Did you try typing the name of the conference? ("April 2017")
No--I haven't, thanks.
I'll try that when I get back to it. (But, wouldn't that just take me to the conference, not specifically to Elder Oaks' talk?)

D.G.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It will prompt you to download the conference if it's not already downloaded (which may be part of the explanation of why you're not seeing it in regular search results) – and, after it downloads, tapping it will allow you to drill down to the specific talk, all within the Links screen.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

That works, thanks!
(Actually, I had worked around it myself by starting the link in Elder Oaks' talk and connecting it to the verse.)
Still lobbying the GLA team to let us start the drill-down process at the top library level. So far, the "search function + Samuel Bradshaw" formula has been almost as inconvenient as it has been productive. ;)
D.G.
lngridsearch

Post by lngridsearch »

I'm trying to link verses in Isaiah to prophets and the Savior quoting him. For example, the verse that talks about the gentiles carrying the Jews on their shoulders. I don't know, offhand, who quotes that verse, and when I do a search for "shoulders" after tapping "link," I'm told no search results match my criteria. Can someone help me please? I don't find the tips video helpful at all, either. Thanks so much.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”