Severe Accessibility (Vision) and other problems with 4.0.0.38

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
bookwalk

Severe Accessibility (Vision) and other problems with 4.0.0.38

Post by bookwalk »

I have sent feedback to the developers and hope they have a helpful response, but checking if anyone can help me revert to the previous version for the following problems:

1. No font choice now--I have visual impairments where I need a lot of contrast and since there is now no choice of fonts, I see much decreased contrast on the text fonts and have trouble reading anything. I MUST revert to the previous version or I will not e able to use the app--which I depend on heavily as I can change font size for the visual impairment I have--which I cannot do with printed scriptures. HELPPPP_!

2. Footnotes not available to view along with text (at bottom) on portrait view of smartphone. Again--really depend on this where JST notes show different translation

3. Fewer choices of annotation options and more difficulty implementing.

4. Android WIDGET shows such large text that only 1 or 2 lines of bookmarks show--previous version either had a choice of font size or reduced according to widget size so that it was small enough to see several lines of bookmarks.

QUESTION--How is it possible to get a previous version so that I can use the app?

I actually have the older Gospel Library app on an Android Tablet (different version of Android 4.4.2) than what is on my Android Smartphone (6.0.1). Is it possible to find all the files in the older tablet version under, I think, org.lds.ldssa.* and transfer them to the equivalent location on the 6.0.1 replacing the newer version by simply replacing the files? Or would the developers hopefully just send me a link to the previous version?

Also, does anyone know how to disable updates to the app once I have found a way to revert it? I thought I found where I could do that and can't find it anymore.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Severe Accessibility (Vision) and other problems with 4.0.0.38

Post by russellhltn »

bookwalk wrote:does anyone know how to disable updates to the app once I have found a way to revert it? I thought I found where I could do that and can't find it anymore.
Go into the Play Store. Locate the app in question, and go it the "details". (Not just listing the app in a list, but where it shows the details about the app.) You should be able to find a 3 dot or 3 line icon that indicates a menu option. Open that. Uncheck "Auto-update".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lmcguire

Post by lmcguire »

bookwalk wrote:QUESTION--How is it possible to get a previous version so that I can use the app?
The last download before 4.0 is here: https://tech.lds.org/dl/android/org.lds ... 60913-1723

...you will need to be able to side-load.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

bookwalk wrote:2. Footnotes not available to view along with text (at bottom) on portrait view of smartphone
In landscape mode on a phone (or in portrait or landscape on a tablet), you can pin the sidebar open so you can see the main content and the related content at the same time. (Improvements for scrolling related content with the main content are coming soon.) This doesn't completely solve your problem (seeing main content and related content in portrait mode), but is a workaround.
bookwalk wrote:3. Fewer choices of annotation options and more difficulty implementing.
Which annotation options are you missing? A few things have been moved around, but all of the annotation options should still be there.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

sbradshaw wrote: Which annotation options are you missing? A few things have been moved around, but all of the annotation options should still be there.
Probably talking about how only the last five styles for highlights show instead of giving all the highlight options in one place. Now to use more than just five highlight options you have to go into the palate (which drops down vertically blocking text instead of giving a nice horizontal bar).

This is one of the biggest reasons I hate this new version. That and the tray really are a poor implementation of where the old app did wonderfully.
bookwalk

Post by bookwalk »

Thank you all for your responses. I was able to get the old version installed and am so happy!!!! I can SEE the text. When you all get to be 70+ and have various vision and other disabilities due to age, you will really appreciate the little things. I use this apps several times a day, in teaching, etc so the text was very important.

To avoid the update, however, if I go into Play Store--if I click on the app, which says Update, I am afraid it will start updating, which I do not want to do. I think I found a settings tool in Android where I disabled updates, or maybe somewhere else in Playstore, but before I click on the App title in Play store (which says update), can you guarantee it won't start updating?

I don't have the 4.0 now, but I recall when I tried to "pin" the footnotes, it covered up the original scriptural text and in portrait mode which I prefer, it just didn't let me see both the text and footnote and was not adjustable as the old system is.

My husband is fine (he has no visual problems) with his full size Ipad update, but with just a smartphone, I really needed the font choices, old footnote system and the Widget to show smaller text and more of the bookmarks I had.

Obviously you all put in a lot of time and effort to updates, but quite honestly, I think this should have stayed in beta longer. I regret I did not have the time to do a beta version or I would have spoken up long ago.

Thanks again for the help getting the old version and how to stop the updates.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bookwalk wrote:To avoid the update, however, if I go into Play Store--if I click on the app, which says Update, I am afraid it will start updating, which I do not want to do. I think I found a settings tool in Android where I disabled updates, or maybe somewhere else in Playstore, but before I click on the App title in Play store (which says update), can you guarantee it won't start updating?
If you are seeing a list of apps, you can click on "Gospel Library" and it will take you to the next screen. It may say "Update" in the lower right corner, but clicking it won't cause it to update.

However, if you are in a full-screen display of the app, where you can see the number of downloads, what's new, etc - do NOT click on update. Instead, you want to click on the "3-dot" icon in the upper right. That will expose a new option "Auto-update". Make sure that's unchecked.

If you go into the Play Store > Settings and uncheck the option for auto-update, that will disable auto-update for ALL apps. You probably don't want to do that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnhb

Re: Problems with 4.0.1

Post by johnhb »

I have had to install GL 3 because GL 4 will not work on my Alcatel phone with Android 6.0 However each time I uninstall GL4 and install GL3 the app updates later to GL4 and again I am not able to access the Gospel Library.
I tried to find the option marked Auto-update but it doesn't exist. Click on the "3 dot" icon which is on the bottom right hand corner. The only options are:
Custom Collections, Catalog Options, Settings, Help.
There is no option in Settings regarding updates etc. I really need to stop GL3 updating to GL4 so I can use the Gospel Library. This issue is also affecting two other Church members who have Samsung tablets with Android 6 and can only use Gospel Library 3.
Hope someone can help.
lmcguire

Re: Problems with 4.0.1

Post by lmcguire »

johnhb wrote:I tried to find the option marked Auto-update but it doesn't exist. Click on the "3 dot" icon which is on the bottom right hand corner. The only options are:
Custom Collections, Catalog Options, Settings, Help.
It's the 3-dot icon in the google play store, not in the GL app. So before you uninstall v4, go to the play store, find the app (under My Apps, or something like that), click the dots there and turn off auto-update. You may even need to turn it off as a setting in general, not just for this app - in the play store app, under settings, is an option for "Auto-update apps" - you want that to be set to "Do not auto-update apps". Then you can install v3 and it shouldn't update.

Liz
johnhb

Post by johnhb »

Thanks, Liz, but on my Alcatel phone the only thing I get if I select Play Store is the webpage where I can see GL4 to install. No 3 dots anywhere. I'll live in hope that GL4 will be updated to work on Android 6.0.1

Return to “Android Gospel Library”