Statement of donations for Deceased Member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sundethomascraig2

Statement of donations for Deceased Member

Post by sundethomascraig2 »

How can I get a statement of donations for a deceased member? The unit no longer has the membership record for the deceased member. The surviving wife's donations were made along with her now deceased husband's. She will need statements to file a final tax return for her husband's estate but also for herself. Can we disentangle donations for the deceased from those attributable to his surviving wife?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Statement of donations for Deceased Member

Post by russellhltn »

The unit no longer has the membership record, but they still have the finacal records. They would be the place to get that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

sundethomascraig2 wrote:The unit no longer has the membership record for the deceased member.
Expanding on what Russell posted: While the unit does not have the membership record they do have the donor record. It is available in LCR in the Finance > Tithing Settlement > Donor Statements. Click the "Generate Statement" button and then select the donor name.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sundethomascraig2 wrote:Can we disentangle donations for the deceased from those attributable to his surviving wife?
The church system can only attach a donation to a single individual - even if both names are written on the donation slip. If it's desired to recharacterize the donation, you'll have to contact the ward it was given to. You can change the name or even split it into two donations. If the clerk is unsure about how to do this, send them over here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gmitch

Post by gmitch »

A brother passed in our ward last year, his wife has moved elsewhere. When I attempted to pull up his donation statement to send to his wife, it would not pull up his name. I am sure he had donated prior to his death in 2016, so he should be in the donors database. Help?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gmitch wrote:A brother passed in our ward last year, his wife has moved elsewhere. When I attempted to pull up his donation statement to send to his wife, it would not pull up his name. I am sure he had donated prior to his death in 2016, so he should be in the donors database. Help?
We haven't had anybody report back on this situation so we don't really know how it should be handled yet. With the move to LCR it doesn't look like it's possible to generate a tax statement for a member who isn't currently in your ward. If they are a member then it looks like they have to get their tax statement from their current ward. As well a ward can print tax statements for any non-member who donated in their ward. But that seems to leave a hole where deceased members are concerned. They have member records but those records aren't in any ward.

My recommendation would be to have this sister talk to her current ward clerk and ask him to contact the Global Service Center to ask how to get the tax statement for her husband.

Hopefully someone who has encountered this situation can chime in and indicate how they handled it.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”