GEO codes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
GaryLuke

GEO codes

Post by GaryLuke »

GEO codes are extremely useful in our ward to help determine Home Teaching routes so that home teachers can minimize travel time and expenses. It seems I cannot enter nor edit GEO codes any more in either MLS or lds.org. How can I accomplish that task now?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: GEO codes

Post by lajackson »

GaryLuke wrote:How can I accomplish that task now?
Geocodes have gone away. I think it may have been assumed that they were only used for ward and stake divisions, because a tool for boundary changes does exist in LCR based totally on a map system and does not use geocodes. So I think you are out of luck.

You may wish to experiment with Maps and see if you are able to work out something there. You won't be able to get into the boundary part of LCR unless you are a stake officer.

Others will speak up if they know of a way to use Maps to work out home teaching routes, fast offering routes, and other similar needs, but I have not yet tried.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As lajackson indicates, the primary purpose of GEO codes for realigning boundaries has been turned into a map tool. However, I'm not sure why GEO codes would have been disabled in MLS. I don't see how it would have caused a problem. It may be something broke it and it was removed rather than attempting to fix it.

But we also know that not all of the features of MLS have migrated to LCR. I'd submit a feedback using the link in LCR. Explain how you were using the ward geo codes and the need for something to help with HT route planning. It may not seem like a big deal to wards that only span a few blocks, but I can see how it would be an issue in the mid-west where travel within the ward is measured in hours. Maybe they'll come up with a better tool.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:I'm not sure why GEO codes would have been disabled in MLS.
If I recall correctly, geocodes were under the boundary change link in MLS, and that link was removed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:If I recall correctly, geocodes were under the boundary change link in MLS, and that link was removed.
Nope. I fired up my test install of 3.8.1. Boundary Realignment re-directs to LCR. Geo Codes might have been a step under that.

But Geo Codes were still there as standalone under Tool Bar > Membership > Household Geo Codes.
For the picture menu > Membership - More > View and Update - More > View and Update > Household Geo Codes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

GaryLuke wrote:It seems I cannot enter nor edit GEO codes any more in either MLS or lds.org. How can I accomplish that task now?
It appears that russellhltn (in the post immediately preceeding this one) has found two ways to get to geocodes in MLS without going through the MLS Boundary Realignment link. If you can get there, they may still work. I certainly would give it a try.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

GEO Codes can no longer be updated on the Household/Person address screen in MLS, because when you click the "edit" button, you get redirected to LCR.
You can edit GEO Codes and print a report by following the MLS menu path stated in a previous post.

The GEO code feature (and the accompanying report) in MLS is the only way to list the households in the ward clustered geographically. Such a list is very useful for planning HT/VT and Fast Offering collection routes and other household visits. The Ward Map App on LDS.ORG provides a visual method to see household clusters, but it doesn't provide any way to produce a coherent list or report.

My question is this: Do local units that still actively use GEO codes need to use Priesthood leadership communication channels to request that the GEO Code feature be migrated to LCR before the demise of MLS?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rontilby wrote:My question is this: Do local units that still actively use GEO codes need to use Priesthood leadership communication channels to request that the GEO Code feature be migrated to LCR before the demise of MLS?
That would be a good idea. You could always use the Feedback link in LCR, but Priesthood channels would be a good plan.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

rontilby wrote:The GEO code feature (and the accompanying report) in MLS is the only way to list the households in the ward clustered geographically. Such a list is very useful for planning HT/VT and Fast Offering collection routes and other household visits. The Ward Map App on LDS.ORG provides a visual method to see household clusters, but it doesn't provide any way to produce a coherent list or report.

My question is this: Do local units that still actively use GEO codes need to use Priesthood leadership communication channels to request that the GEO Code feature be migrated to LCR before the demise of MLS?
Yes, but since Maps capability was supposed to replace the geocode function, perhaps the request should be that there be lists or reports available available by geographic area using Maps, and not necessarily the specific geocode function that used to be in MLS.
mllarsen

Post by mllarsen »

The wards in our stake have been assigning GEO codes to emergency preparedness districts. We found this to be extremely useful. When a new member moved into a ward, the clerk assigned their GEO code field to their assigned district. This allowed the wards in the stake to use MLS to uniformly keep track of and update districts without a separate database and without much effort. Coupled with MLS's custom list features, it was easy to create and distribute this information to ward members. This worked very well and we have come to rely on it. It was a vast improvement over using spreadsheets, which were never up to date. At this point with support for GEO codes being discontinued, should our stake plan on reverting back to spreadsheets? Is there a possibility that LCR is going support a similar feature?

Return to “Membership Help”