speakers, prayers and sacrament program

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
jpointer

speakers, prayers and sacrament program

Post by jpointer »

So, another program that would be nice is having a way to take and input the speakers and who gives prayers to show up easily on a list to have a quick view to make sure there is an effort to include all in a unit. As they are asked and accept an invitation to do so, the program would be updated, as well as the list.
jamiep39

Re: speakers, prayers and sacrament program

Post by jamiep39 »

jpointer wrote:So, another program that would be nice is having a way to take and input the speakers and who gives prayers to show up easily on a list to have a quick view to make sure there is an effort to include all in a unit. As they are asked and accept an invitation to do so, the program would be updated, as well as the list.
When I was in charge of putting the Sacrament meeting together I created two Google forms. One that the Bishopric would fill out with the date, names of the speakers and those giving prayers, and any announcements/etc. that they wanted to put in the program. I had another form where the music director would fill out which hymns we were singing. Both filled spreadsheets that each respective group had access to so they could go back and look at a history. It worked quite well and I believe they're still using that method in that ward.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

The solution we use I have posted here:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23467
coryjames85

Post by coryjames85 »

I agree, I would like it if there was an LDS.org program that enabled the bishopric and the music director to insert the information for the ward program. It would be awesome if it could be edited from the LDS Tools App. I know that there are members who have created Google Docs to resolve this need, but trying to get members to accept and learn both LDS.org and Google technology for their church callings has been a long process thus far.

In my experience, if I say, "Hey, LDS.org has a new app for that" the ward members will generally up and try it out the app. If I say, "I just created a Google Doc that will help us with our responsibilities" members often think what I did was cool but it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to use the Google Doc. :roll:

This idea of creating an online Sacrament Program Editor for ward leadership could also play into creating an online and/or app Sacrament Program Viewer for ward members. This would cut down on the costs, waste, and cleanup created from printing out programs every Sunday. Of course, not everyone uses this type of technology, so having an option to print out the program would need to be a part of the application to give paper copies to these ward members.

Some things to think about is creating an optional ability to link the LDS.org calendar items, birthday lists, leadership directories, and missionary/service men contact information so that this information can be displayed withing the digital and paper program. Of course we would want to create an ability to insert guest speakers, musical performances, and even inspirational messages from ward leaders. Also a catalog of art to use for the program cover would be useful.

I like the idea of being able to keep track of who has offered prayers and given talks, and what hymns have been sung.

I am not sure how we would go about lobbying for an online Sacrament Program to be worked on. If anyone knows, please let me know. :D
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

coryjames85 wrote:I am not sure how we would go about lobbying for an online Sacrament Program to be worked on. If anyone knows, please let me know.
Use the Feedback link on LDS.org to make your suggestion.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”