Membership Audit Issue

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
pvtmathis

Membership Audit Issue

Post by pvtmathis »

I have a member who's name comes up as an audit exception that says "A person should not be sealed to a spouse before being a member of the church for a year." Another exception for the same person says, "The date of the members sealing should not be earlier than the Melchizedek Priesthood ordination date." I have contacted the member and he say's that he received permission from the First Presidency to receive his endowments and be sealed to his wife earlier than his one year anniversary date. Also his membership record does not show his ordination as an Elder, only his Ordination as a Seventy and a High Priest. He doesn't remember his Elder ordination date and can not find his ordination certificates. This came up on two audits in a row that I am aware of. Any ideas on how to address both issue's?

Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Membership Audit Issue

Post by lajackson »

pvtmathis wrote:Any ideas on how to address both issue's?
I would make a note of the answers somewhere and then ignore the audit exceptions when they come up each year or more often during the membership audit. I do not think there is any way to record the exceptions and get them cleared in a way that will cause the audit not to flag them each time. It is a limitation of the audit software.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I thought there was a flag somewhere that would prevent that from coming up. I'd contact Local Unit Support to see what they have to say.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

In MLS there used to be a flag, but it has been missing for sometime now.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

This means that the exception has not properly been recorded on the membership record. You should review section 16.1.10 of Handbook 1. There are instructions there for what to do when an ordinance has not been properly recorded and what to do when First Presidency ratification is needed for an ordinance. Rather than run into this issue on every audit, it would be better to do the research needed and have the recorded updated.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:Rather than run into this issue on every audit, it would be better to do the research needed and have the record updated.
The member had to give the temple the letter authorizing the early temple ordinance. How should the clerk take care of that one? MLS message requesting Headquarters update? Or Letter from stake president to First Presidency?

Or in this case would it be better to that he be ordained an elder again (assuming no record is found) and then a letter from stake president to First Presidency to have everything ratified all at once?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

To tag onto lajackson's questions - how is it confirmed that there's a First Presidency exception? Is it sufficient to contact LUS and they'll check into it?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

I would sort out the elder ordination (performing it again, if necessary) and then have the stake president write the Office of the First Presidency so that they can take care of all of the details at once.

The exception isn't recorded on the membership record (that's why it is showing up on the audit), so local unit support would need to contact the First Presidency to resolve it.
bkroff

Post by bkroff »

"A person should not be sealed to a spouse before being a member of the Church for a year." Sounds like we just let these be exceptions year after year, right? I assume we can still submit our audit without resolving this exception?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bkroff wrote:"A person should not be sealed to a spouse before being a member of the Church for a year." Sounds like we just let these be exceptions year after year, right? I assume we can still submit our audit without resolving this exception?
I think you have to submit a request for exception to the First Presidency. Once that's been granted, the exception will go away.

Return to “Membership Help”