Child of Record - FamilySearch timeline

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
Biggles

Child of Record - FamilySearch timeline

Post by Biggles »

We have a members child, who passed away recently. The child was BIC, but wasn't baptised for reasons of health. The death was recorded in LCR.

What is the time period before this is reflected in FamilySearch?

Any advice on what to do, if anything, would be much appreciated.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Child of Record - FamilySearch timeline

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:We have a members child, who passed away recently. The child was BIC, but wasn't baptised for reasons of health. The death was recorded in LCR.

What is the time period before this is reflected in FamilySearch?
I don't know precisely, but I've had experience with several cases, and it seems to be available on FamilySearch within a day or so -- never more than two days.

Note that the record may not be connected to living records, so you would need to use the Find feature to find the record.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thank you for your quick reply. The child in question passed away in mid October this year. I'm asking this question on behalf of one of the parents.

In my search of the Family Tree (IOS) app, the death is registered. In FamilySearch there is no indication of the death, only the Birth record, hence my question. I don't think the parent has used the Family Tree app, but before I go back to them I would like to be able to put their minds at rest.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Biggles wrote:Thank you for your quick reply. The child in question passed away in mid October this year. I'm asking this question on behalf of one of the parents.

In my search of the Family Tree (IOS) app, the death is registered. In FamilySearch there is no indication of the death, only the Birth record, hence my question. I don't think the parent has used the Family Tree app, but before I go back to them I would like to be able to put their minds at rest.
The Family Tree mobile apps show the same information that is on the FamilySearch.org website. So it's hard to imagine that you could look at a person on the mobile app and see a death registered, but not see that on FamilySearch.org, unless you are looking at different records. Look carefully at the ID number associated with each person you are looking at to make sure they are the same record. If they are not the same record, then you should merge the two records.

There's another thing that is odd about what you are describing: except for living persons that you have added, you can only see persons on the Family Tree that are deceased. Even if there are no details recorded about the death, at the very least a deceased person will show "Deceased" for the death vital information. If you have records or personal knowledge of details about the death, you can certainly supply them. That will help increase the accuracy of the records.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Well I've double checked the results for the death of the child against another known death and the child's death is not listed in FamilySearch. Whereas the other known person, who died several years ago, their death is listed.

FWIW - I was the one who registered the death, in LCR, actually on the day the child passed away.

Which brings me back to my original question, how long does FamilySearch take to display a death?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Well I've double checked the results for the death of the child against another known death and the child's death is not listed in FamilySearch. Whereas the other known person, who died several years ago, their death is listed.
Is the child that recently passed away listed in FamilySearch at all?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Only the birth record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:Only the birth record.
I'm sure if you look, it will be marked as "deceased". It may lack a death date, but unless the child is dead, they're not going to appear in FamilySearch.

The only way living people appear is if you manually add them. When that happens, they only appear in your tree. You haven't mentioned any relationship with this family, so I tend to doubt if you've added the child.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Wild theory - Are you sure you're looking at the person and not a source? Since you say it's a child who recently passed away, I can't imagine that a source record would be in FS, but it's not completely impossible.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Biggles wrote:Which brings me back to my original question, how long does FamilySearch take to display a death?
Normally within a few days, in my experience. So be sure to check out the other suggestions that have been made in this topic.

Return to “Family History”