deadline for reimbrusement at the end of the year?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
Mr_Dove

deadline for reimbrusement at the end of the year?

Post by Mr_Dove »

A few organizations are trying to use up their budgets before the year ends. Primary is buying craft supplies, the library wants to buy paper and toner. Etc. What is the deadline to submit these reimbursements or make these purchases so that they still apply to the 2016 budgets? It seems like December 31 would be the obvious answer but many organizations use a fiscal year for budget stuff rather than a calendar year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: deadline for reimbrusement at the end of the year?

Post by russellhltn »

This is a two-part answer.

First, by default, all ward funds remain in the ward. It's possible the stake might ask for any leftover funds, but unless there's a check or a transfer, the ward keeps all funds from one year to the next.

Now, the individual budget categories all get reset on December January first. So all checks must be cut before that deadline. (I'm not sure if it's midnight local time or midnight Utah time - either way, that's cutting it close.) Any check cut in 2017 will be reflected in the new year's budget. Although it's possible to do some finagling (perhaps using a different category or increasing the organization's budget) but that all falls into the category of "complicating things" as well as making the numbers less clear.

One possibility, with the Bishop's permission, is that any balance at the end of the year for each organization will be added to their next year's budget. That would eliminate the "spend it or lose it" mentality. But it may create an issue of setting budgets for the following year since for many people the default starting position is the current year's budget. (Although, that's not the procedure in the handbook - which calls for making a plan and then calculating the needed funds.) Yes, it's a bad procedure, but I suspect it's all too common.

My advice is to set a deadline and tell them they must turn in the receipts to you by a certain date/time. Anything turned in Sunday, January 1st will come out of the new year's budget.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Now, the individual budget categories all get reset on December first.
I think you meant January 1st.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Now, the individual budget categories all get reset on December first.
I think you meant January 1st.
Oops. Thanks. Fixed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”