Church service missionary calling?

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
adoga

Church service missionary calling?

Post by adoga »

Who inputs a Church service missionary calling into the system? is that the mission office?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Church service missionary calling?

Post by russellhltn »

I'd imagine that generally it would be the mission office or CHQ since the calling might be away from home. I'm not sure as wards or stakes would have that ability for the situation where the member is serving from their home.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The office or location where the Church service missionary is serving (for example, a Church department, a storehouse, a CES location, or a family history center) gives the service missionary access to any systems he or she may need, but they do not record the calling in the sense that it would show up in the LDS.org Directory or Leader and Clerk Resources. If the ward or stake would like the person to appear in their calling, they will need to create a custom calling in Leader and Clerk Resources and put the member in the calling themselves. It makes the most sense to me that this would be on the stake level, unless the missionary's service is in a specific ward, because in many cases the service missionary would report to the stake president as his "mission president" and it's the stake president who sets him apart. The same is true for temple workers (and to a certain extent, even full-time missionaries) – the local temple keeps a record for their purposes, but it doesn't show up anywhere that ward or stake members could see.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
adoga

Post by adoga »

Thanks! I couldn't find an answer anywhere. This is good info.
philalan731

Post by philalan731 »

One small note.

The previous comment indicated the Stake President sets the Service Missionary apart. Per the Handbook the Stake President calls a Church Service Missionary but the Bishop sets him apart. Also I find nothing pertaining to the "Return & Report" aspect of a Church Service Missionary.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”