The sky is falling. What will be left on lds.org?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
mevans

The sky is falling. What will be left on lds.org?

Post by mevans »

They've announced they're getting rid of Lesson Schedules. A church employee has posted on the Newsletter forum that they're considering getting rid of the Newsletter tool. We're concerned they may drop useful features from MIS in the migration to LCR. The already-small development team has shrunk (not sure if that's a position that's getting replaced or a permanent shrink).

Something strange is happening.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: The sky is falling. What will be left on lds.org?

Post by russellhltn »

Purely speculation on my part, but my gut feeling is that both Lesson Schedules and Newsletter have low adoption rates. I'm not sure what the trigger for dropping them is - perhaps it's time to update the servers or there's a change in the infrastructure that will break them and there's a question on if the effort to keep them going is worth it.

If the newsletter is dropped, I predict one side effect will be more unit web pages on places like Facebook. One of the restrictions placed on such pages is that they must have a purpose beyond duplicating tools found on lds.org. If the newsletter disappears, that just becomes a slam-dunk. (As long as you can live with the limitations.) From a top-level view, there's pros and cons to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”