Set Top Box (STB) used for receiving webcast stations

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
johnshaw

Set Top Box (STB) used for receiving webcast stations

Post by johnshaw »

Has anyone out there looked seriously at some of these devices. I have one I am evaluating now which tested for 2 hours straight a perfect picture from the webcast, it's an android OS and the new HTML player did fantastic with the video. I was hoping this kind of device would take out the variables of having receiving laptops to support. It can all be documented once.

I was thinking this device could double as a media server to host local copies of LDS Picture Libraries and Video content as well. Most of them come with Kodi, though I'd probably put plex out there instead. It also doubles as an airplay device that could, I think support chromecast as well.

Just curious what others might have done previously or what the most recent ideas out there were.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
seanhyte

Re: Set Top Box (STB) used for receiving webcast stations

Post by seanhyte »

johnshaw wrote:Has anyone out there looked seriously at some of these devices.
I don't see anything, did you mean to have a link or an attachment?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Here's a link to the one I purchased...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JO ... UTF8&psc=1

I didn't mean to link to it, just referring to the device in general for multiple uses if purchased. There are many devices like this one (at one point the church was working to develop it's own as well (not just an idea, I held a couple in my hands) out there. I keep waiting for the larger church as there were discussions around 'media' like servers in each meetinghouse, but it's been a while now and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere so I'm going to start moving forward on my own. (which is usually the time the church comes out with something)

I'm looking for something that will:

1. Host webcasts
2. Host Picture/Audio/Video content on a media server for local copies
3. Airplay/Chromecast hosts for screen/app mirroring

It would be so helpful and useful to those of us volunteers who /care/ to have the church brief us on what's coming down the pipe.
How is the development of the teaching mobile tool - it's been called Presentations, or LDS Media - What Miracast technology will be in play here?
Is there a media content deployment to meetinghouses in the works, is it actively being worked on?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:I'm looking for something that will:
I'd add to that spec with "update-able". While I love the simplicity of the STB, those with older versions of Android(4.x) are unlikely to ever get a OS update. I think Google has addressed the issue with more recent builds, but I'm not sure where the state of that is.

I'm tempted to say that something like a Raspberry Pi might be a better choice - but it represents more complexity in getting it assembled.

Looking that link, the reviews look good and the price is excellent.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

johnshaw wrote:I'm looking for something that will:

1. Host webcasts
Isn't that the job of the VidiU box?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

yes, I wish I could go back and edit it (but I can't), but I certainly meant receiving the webcast (like mentioned in the post title)

Russell,

Yes, the updated issue is important, thanks for pointing that out. I agree about the Pi, I am a an IT professional and would have no issues with them. I have one interfaced to my sprinkler as a little DIY thing - But I'm always thinking about the next person in my role, or someone like a High Counselor that might need to help or figure something out down the road, so you're thoughts there are spot on as well. Although, if the church would create Raspberry Pi build - and keep it updated... that might work.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Here's a link to the one I purchased...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JO ... UTF8&psc=1

I didn't mean to link to it, just referring to the device in general for multiple uses if purchased. There are many devices like this one (at one point the church was working to develop it's own as well (not just an idea, I held a couple in my hands) out there. I keep waiting for the larger church as there were discussions around 'media' like servers in each meetinghouse, but it's been a while now and it doesn't seem to have gone anywhere so I'm going to start moving forward on my own. (which is usually the time the church comes out with something)

I'm looking for something that will:

1. Receiving station for webcasts
2. Host Picture/Audio/Video content on a media server for local copies in the meetinghouse
3. Airplay/Chromecast hosts for screen/app mirroring
4. Integration with LDS Mobile Tools like Gospel Library / LDS Media (presentations) [this is a subset of #3)
5. Should have an easy path to upgrades

It would be so helpful and useful to those of us volunteers who /care/ to have the church brief us on what's coming down the pipe.
How is the development of the teaching mobile tool - it's been called Presentations, or LDS Media - What Miracast technology will be in play here?
Is there a media content deployment to meetinghouses in the works, is it actively being worked on?

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”