Invisible AP

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
nelalhurcran

Invisible AP

Post by nelalhurcran »

I was going through the oldest building in the stake, attempting to label the APs in Technology manager, and I found something weird. One of my APs appears to be invisible.

It was the only AP on at the time, and using a WiFI Analyzer I tracked down the general area where the signal was originating from, but the device itself was not in sight. Admittedly, this building does have an upstairs, and a down, but this was in a section of the building that has only one level.

So my question is this: Has anyone else had their APs apparently installed above the ceiling?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Invisible AP

Post by russellhltn »

It's possible. To ask a dumb question - you are aware that some firewalls have a built-in AP, right?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nelalhurcran

Post by nelalhurcran »

I was not, but the firewall is in a different part of the building from my mystery AP.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is it controllable with TM? It might be some rogue device plugged in somewhere to give more coverage. You might look around some more. Sheetrock walls are nearly transparent to radio waves.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

In a couple of my buildings, I did have the WAP above the ceiling tiles, but I eventually moved them below because of the foil that is on the back of the ceiling tiles. So the question becomes is this a 1041n or some other device? So you may have to open up the area to determine where it is at. Hopefully you have a drop ceiling otherwise you will have to cut into the drywall.
seanhyte

Post by seanhyte »

In all of our buildings, all the WAPs are installed above the ceiling in the rafter area where many of the utilities are located. I believe most of the new standard building designs have them. Behind a locked door are the stairs to get up above where you can walk along the whole parameter of the building. STSs should have been giving access to the area by the Stake PFR.

You will want to check with the FM as well, as they should have the info of where WAPs were installed.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

The church is supplying access points that are designed to be mounted above the ceiling. I have 2 of this type of access point in one of my buildings that is older that I have retrofitted for wifi.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

I found in my buildings that putting the access points above the ceiling has lowered the quality of the signal. I have found that the drop ceiling being used in buildings has a metal foil on the back and it can reflect the radio waves, which lowers the quality of the signal. I had a bishop thank me for moving the access points to mount below the ceiling tiles gave it a better signal coverage.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”