Changing Password in MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Changing Password in MLS

Post by lajackson »

A clerk claims he was required to change his MLS password last Sunday. This Sunday he cannot remember his new password.

I can get him into the system. But before I do, I am wondering why he had to change his password in the first place. Has anyone heard of that before?

I do not believe they have encountered 2.9 yet. And I do not believe 2.9 requires changing passwords.
SmithGW

Changing Password in MLS

Post by SmithGW »

From the description of your role I presume you are some sort of Stake Administrator. There are stakes on MLS 2.9 beta, but it seems as if you would know if your stake was. MLS 2.9 does ask via a persistent popup that any user names not associated to actual member names, be changed so they do. The password might be changed at that point. If the ward got new leadership or clerks, the ward administrator might ask all users to change their passwords. These are possibilities. If you get him in where he can change his password again, maybe he should write it down somewhere.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Among other things, I am the STS. He is a branch clerk, still on 2.8.3 which is why I am puzzled. I will get him in tonight and then check it out some more on Sunday.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen the same problem. Apparently not.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I don't know aof anything in MLS that would require him to change his password. Maybe he changed a windows account or some other program, but I haven't heard of this with MLS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I think I figured it out. He was going to add a new user. I think he planned to click on the System Options link but accidentally clicked on the Change Password link just above it instead.

Then he didn't know what to do, so he went ahead and changed his password (and promptly forgot it).

I told him he could have canceled. And since he has to go in and reenter it, I also told him he can put his old password back in if he wishes.

But that is my best guess as to what happened.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So MLS doesn't require the password to be changed when it's entered by the Admin? So it's possible that the Admin knows everyone's password?

I'd like to add a suggestion for MLS: add a "force password change on next login" check box like Windows does. Make it on by default when a new password is entered by the Admin.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:So MLS doesn't require the password to be changed when it's entered by the Admin?
I don't understand what you are saying (or asking) here. Are you saying that when the Admin enters his password his password should be changed? I think I'm missing a train of thought here.
RussellHltn wrote:So it's possible that the Admin knows everyone's password?
Again I think I am missing something. I don't think the Admin has access to the other users' passwords other than to change them. I tried to see if I could find out what the passwords were but could not.
RussellHltn wrote:I'd like to add a suggestion for MLS: add a "force password change on next login" check box like Windows does. Make it on by default when a new password is entered by the Admin.
Are you saying here that when the Admin enters a new password for his user name that others should have to change their passwords? Or are you saying that if the Admin changes another user's password that the user should have to enter a new password at their next login?

I just want to make sure I understand what you are talking about.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:Are you saying here that when the Admin enters a new password for his user name that others should have to change their passwords? Or are you saying that if the Admin changes another user's password that the user should have to enter a new password at their next login?

I just want to make sure I understand what you are talking about.
I believe what he's saying is, when an admin creates a new account or changes a user's password, he selects a password for it. If a user never changes their password from that, the admin will know it.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Mikerowaved wrote:I believe what he's saying is, when an admin creates a new account, he also picks a password for it. If a user never changes their password, the admin will know it.
OK - that's clearer.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:OK - that's clearer.
Wow, you're fast on the draw. ;) I made a couple of edits to my post since you quoted me, but essentially it's the same principle.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”