Set Apart?

Discuss where to obtain or how to fill out specific reports or forms.
kditty-p40

Set Apart?

Post by kditty-p40 »

I may be missing something. Recently called to be the Ward Clerk. I have a few callings have been sustained but not set apart.

I would like a single report that will show me callings sustained but not set apart. I tried the custom report but it won't allow me to filter that unless i am missing something.

Any suggestions?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Create a custom report with the criteria attribute of 'Calling in Organization' and a compare value of 'has a value'. Then on the format tab select a column with 'Callings with Date Sustained / Set Apart'. Then when you view or print the report a set apart value of yes or no will be included in parentheses after the calling sustained date. This does not give you a report for only those set apart or not set apart but you can scan the report to find those that have not been set apart.

If you are only looking to find those who have not been set apart for the purpose of updating MLS you can review each organization and the fourth column indicates whether a person has been set apart or not.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

jdlessley wrote:Create a custom report with the criteria attribute of 'Calling in Organization' and a compare value of 'has a value'. Then on the format tab select a column with 'Callings with Date Sustained / Set Apart'. Then when you view or print the report a set apart value of yes or no will be included in parentheses after the calling sustained date. This does not give you a report for only those set apart or not set apart but you can scan the report to find those that have not been set apart.

If you are only looking to find those who have not been set apart for the purpose of updating MLS you can review each organization and the fourth column indicates whether a person has been set apart or not.
I use the "Callings by Organization" report to track this. It's a little cumbersome at first, but if you're committed, you can get the list down to two or three people and it isn't had to keep up after that.
kditty-p40

Post by kditty-p40 »

Thank you for your quick response.

So i guess the short answer is there currently is no report that shows only individuals called and not set apart. You have to pull them out manually from a list showing all callings.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kditty wrote:So i guess the short answer is there currently is no report that shows only individuals called and not set apart. You have to pull them out manually from a list showing all callings.

There's no built-in report, but you can take JD Lessley's solution one step farther and copy the results of that custom report to a spreadsheet, and then use a formula to determine if a row contains the string "/No". You can then filter or sort the rows to isolate only those rows that contain that string, which would be precisely the set of people not set apart for their callings.

That approach admittedly takes a few steps, but once you set it up, you can reuse the report and spreadsheet and crank out the list in under a minute. If you need step-by-step instructions for doing that filtering, let me know.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Don't do it manually....

Post by kisaac »

kditty wrote:Thank you for your quick response.

So i guess the short answer is there currently is no report that shows only individuals called and not set apart. You have to pull them out manually from a list showing all callings.
Short answer, long post: There is NO DEDICATED REPORT but the data you want is easily accessible. Use any of the ways as described in the thread. Either with a custom report or using "members with callings, " You never will need to "pull them out manually." We do far too much busywork as clerks to do this stuff "manually."

(I'm away from home, and so I'm telling you these computer steps by memory- sorry if I mess it up. I'll correct it in a few days when I get back to my membership computer and check my steps. Or, one of our friends will correct me!)

My three-part Method:
Part one: The report for the bishopric:
Pull up your "members with callings" and while its on the screen (don't print yet) play around with the sorting by clicking on the column headings. Try sorting first by the date of the call, getting it to display from most recent to oldest, then by the "set apart" column. You should get a listing of those recently sustained but not set apart. This is the report you want, but you will only need the first page or two. Print it out now and give it to your bishop, or copy all or part of it to the clipboard, and open up a blank spreadsheet (our stake uses openoffice) and paste. Then manipulate the data in any way you want.

Go over this list with your bishopric, both to maintain accuracy of your recently input callings, but also to catch those they set-apart and didn't tell you about.

Part two: Make a report to Organization leaders when any sustaining or releasing happens.
When you enter callings/releases for any organization, print out that organizations "callings by organization" list. Include a form letter that tells the leaders you've made changes in their organization, based on recent sustaining and releases, and ask them to check it for the correctness.

In the next paragraph, explain that "setting apart" their workers is an important step as they perform their service, and ask them to check their listing to make sure all of their people have been "set apart." It helps if you've highlighted the changed callings, and highlighted any blanks in the set-apart column. Distribute these at ward council or throw them at the leaders as they show up at church. (we have mail slots that work well.)

Part three. With your bishops nod of approval, you can give a list of non set-apart members to your exec. sec. and ask him to give them a reminder call to come in and get it done as directed by your bishopric.
DootDog

Re: Set Apart?

Post by DootDog »

With LDS.com Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) you can go to Organizations->Callings by Organization and click on the Options button and select Callings not Set Apart and it will give you a list of all callings that are not set apart.

Return to “Reports and Forms”