Electronic scriptures "frozen" to 2013 edition?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
GrasseDD

Electronic scriptures "frozen" to 2013 edition?

Post by GrasseDD »

Sorry, the Subject line is a clumsy way to ask the question. I seem to recall that even though other digital resources get updated, the text of the scriptures online and in Gospel Library is identical to the 2013 printed version, and is expected to remain that way. Can anyone confirm that?
And, if that's true, does it also apply to the scripture helps (TG, Index, BD, JST appendix, maps, chapter headings, footnotes, section headings, introductions, etc.)?
Thanks,
D.G.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Electronic scriptures "frozen" to 2013 edition?

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to read this link.

I think you'll find the digital scriptures were updated right away. Note, that depending on a setting in GL, you may not be able to download over your data plan and you need to either change the setting or find WiFi service.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Thanks for the post.
I may have implied, especially with the ill-phrased Subject line, that I'm experiencing an issue with my GL app. Sorry for that.
I meant to ask whether the text of the scriptures as now provided online (as well as in a properly functioning and updated copy of Gospel Library) is identical to the 2013 printed edition. Moreover, if that's true, is that standard expected to remain (until, say, a new edition of published scriptures), or are the digital scriptures open to incremental adjustment?
Does the answer to that question also apply to the non-canonical scripture help--chapter and section headings and summaries, footnotes, introductory material, TG, BD, Index, JST appenix, etc.?
Thanks,
D.G.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

GrasseDD wrote:I meant to ask whether the text of the scriptures as now provided online (as well as in a properly functioning and updated copy of Gospel Library) is identical to the 2013 printed edition.
That seems to be what the link implies.

GrasseDD wrote:Moreover, if that's true, is that standard expected to remain (until, say, a new edition of published scriptures), or are the digital scriptures open to incremental adjustment?
I would expect the digital system to be the current edition of the scriptures. So there will be a change when the next edition comes out.

I would not expect any change to the content (the church takes purity of the scriptures very seriously), but you may experience changes in some of the hidden formatting codes so that user highlighting functions properly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Thanks.
D.G.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

GrasseDD wrote:I meant to ask whether the text of the scriptures as now provided online (as well as in a properly functioning and updated copy of Gospel Library) is identical to the 2013 printed edition. Moreover, if that's true, is that standard expected to remain (until, say, a new edition of published scriptures), or are the digital scriptures open to incremental adjustment?
For what it is worth, and my personal opinion only, I agree with what russellhltn has said and with your assessment. I believe the 2013 edition of the scriptures will stay electronically the same, the published editions will catch up, and there will not be changes unless or until the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve have reason to do so. Then the cycle would repeat.

I think the scripture helps will also stay the same, again unless there is some compelling reason for the Brethren to make a change. I would note that in the case of the 2013 edition of the scriptures, most of the changes were to the non-scriptural portions of the scriptures, mainly the headings in the Doctrine and Covenants, and so forth. But there were some changes to the actual scriptures themselves.

At the link russellhltn provided, there are some additional links on the left side of the page that will allow anyone to learn more about the changes in the 2013 edition of the scriptures, and if you go far enough, there is a list of almost every change made. It makes for very fascinating reading.

And I believe that a glance at the History link there will also prove quite interesting for anyone who has not lived long enough to see a scripture change before.
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Thanks for the comments.
It appears we've come to the same conclusion the same way: inferences and observation.
D.G.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”