Teaching in the Savior's Way

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
jarishansen

Teaching in the Savior's Way

Post by jarishansen »

Gospel Library app (iOS) has a manual I've not noticed before called "Teaching in the Savior's Way" in the Lessons section. This is NOT the same as the Youth manual, "Teaching the Gospel in the Savior's Way." It's a different book. My question is, is this a new addition? I can't find it on lds.org anywhere. I ask because there is a section about Teacher Council meetings that I'm not familiar with. Curious for any insight on that.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Teaching in the Savior's Way

Post by aebrown »

jarishansen wrote:Gospel Library app (iOS) has a manual I've not noticed before called "Teaching in the Savior's Way" in the Lessons section. This is NOT the same as the Youth manual, "Teaching the Gospel in the Savior's Way." It's a different book. My question is, is this a new addition? I can't find it on lds.org anywhere. I ask because there is a section about Teacher Council meetings that I'm not familiar with. Curious for any insight on that.
There is a dissertation published by BYU titled Roles and Relationships in Learning and Teaching: A Case Study of the Development and Worldwide Implementation of a New Religious Curriculum. That dissertation gives many interesting details about the development of the well-known "Come, Follow Me" curriculum, and also a course described as a "pre-pilot class" titled "Teaching in the Savior’s Way: Improving Gospel Learning and Teaching". The author of the dissertation had significant involvement with Russell T. Osguthorpe, who was General Sunday School President at the time the dissertation was written, as well as Matthew O. Richardson, who was one of his counselors. There is quite a bit of discussion of Teacher Councils in this dissertation.

On pages 90-91 of this dissertation, we read:
A course entitled Teaching in the Savior’s Way: Improving Gospel Learning and Teaching was pre-piloted to help teachers experience teaching and learning in the Savior’s way. The purpose of the course is “to provide opportunities to discover, counsel together, and practice teaching in the Savior’s way.” The overall vision is to help teachers understand how they can teach the gospel in a way that leads to conversion. The course is for all teachers in the Church, including Primary, Young Men, Young Women, Youth Sunday School, Gospel Doctrine, Gospel Essentials, Priesthood, and Relief Society.
I don't know if this "Teaching in the Savior's Way" is still in the works and will come out soon, or if it's been renamed, or if the project was scrapped. But it's certainly interesting that it is covered in such detail in a dissertation.

I can't find that manual in the Android version of Gospel Library, and I don't have access to an iOS device, so it's difficult for me to come up with any more details.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It looks like the manual is ©2015. The manual's ID is 12996_000 (000 meaning English). The "Teacher Council Meetings" look interesting!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dthomaswright

Post by dthomaswright »

It disappeared from the gospel library app Wednesday or so this week, so not sure if it was released too early or what.
gungy

Post by gungy »

The manual has reappeared on Gospel Library app and if you search "Teaching in the Savior's Way" in LDS.ORG you will go to the officeal page with video clips including introduction from Elder Holland. Interesting that no offical annouincement has come through the General Sunday School Presidency or Area Presidency yet.Looks great though!

https://www.lds.org/callings/teachers?l ... g_teaching
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I believe it's being piloted in a couple of areas (stakes?) and it shows up so those members can access it. Assuming the pilot is successful, it will be announced/released for the general membership. It looks like they're putting a lot of resources into it now, with videos and such, so I wouldn't be surprised for it to be coming out soon!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

A letter just went out to stake presidents and bishops, dated yesterday (2 May 2016) about new teacher orientation, Teaching in the Savior’s Way, and the teacher council meetings. According to the letter, "instruction about this effort will be provided in area council meetings, coordinating councils, and stake and ward councils" in the next few months. Links to the online resources and a one-page introduction are included with the letter.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

There is a worldwide broadcast featuring Elder Holland, this Saturday, November 5th. My stake wants me to show it at a stake-wide teacher's training meeting on Sunday the 6th, roughly 29 hours after the broadcast ends. Does anyone know if the video will be available to download in that time period? Or should I plan to capture it on Saturday with OBS or some other program, I loathe VCRs.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

The bottom of the invitation email from the church says it will be available to watch again on tech.lds.org anytime after the event begins.
Attachments
image.png
(131.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hagothsen wrote:Or should I plan to capture it on Saturday with OBS or some other program, I loathe VCRs.
That's my plan (using a DVD recorder). If the download is available soon enough, I'll use that to cut the DVDs for each unit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Gospel Library”