Sharing materials in other languages

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
will7370

Sharing materials in other languages

Post by will7370 »

I am an English speaker. But I have friends with whom I interact with on social media for whom English is a second language. Sometimes a very poor second language. There are many times I would like to share a resource with them from lds.org. But their English skills are not sufficient for the material to do them much good. And I am not familiar with their language sufficient to search on their native language version of lds.org to find the translated version. And I have had very embarrassing results trying to copy/paste something into Google Translate to try to provide them a copy. Is there not some way we could provide a way to direct people from the English linked version of a talk/resource to that of another language? I could do so much good if I just had a way.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Sharing materials in other languages

Post by sbradshaw »

If you look at the URL of the pages on LDS.org, you'll notice something like "?lang=eng" at the end. That means it's the English version of that page. For a lot of pages – especially in General Conference, the Scriptures, the Liahona, pages for callings, etc. – you can change the language code and get the same page in another language.

For example, here's one of President Uchtdorf's talks from the most recent General Conference:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
Here's the same talk in Spanish:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=spa

Just change the language code at the end!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
will7370

Post by will7370 »

That's great! I'll have to remember this. Thank you very much!

However, it only works for conference talks back to 1991 (at least in German). They don't seem to have translations for talks earlier then that.
will7370

Post by will7370 »

What we need is a button somewhere on each page that would allow you to go to the same material in another language.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

will7370 wrote:What we need is a button somewhere on each page that would allow you to go to the same material in another language.
For most pages, changing the language will keep you on the same page. Just go to the page (such as a conference talk) in English, then click on the language icon (in the upper right corner, it's a globe icon, with the current region and language listed to the right of the icon) and then change the language. If the content you are viewing is available in the newly selected language, you will still be on that page, but now in the new language.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Some of the older General Conference talks can be found in the Liahona (or earlier, Der Stern). Here are some links to old German magazine PDFs – you may have to do some digging, as the month conference is published in varies:
http://scripturetools.net/periodicals/liahona?lang=deu
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Main Church Website”